Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aluminum wheel steel lug inserts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigslok5, Nov 6, 2003.

1. bigslok5

bigslok5 Registered Member

I have a set of aluminum wheels that have elongated lug holes in them. Is there an inexpensive way to fix this or are they trash? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I was hoping that some steel inserts could be put in them. Any advice would help! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    BTW- I really like the style of these wheels and can't find them anywhere (like old Micky Thompsom wheel with slots)
    Thanks--Dave /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont some of the bigger tire/wheel places do repairs if you crack an aluminum rim etc? seems like they'd be the peeps to talk to...

j

3. bigslok5

bigslok5 Registered Member

Anyone else have a suggestion?
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sorry i couldnt help more... i just remember the 4 wheeler cast vs forged vs steel article and they said they got the cracked cast rim repaired at a wheel shop for under $20, so I assume so of em do it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

5. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Don't know of this helps, but I'm in a similar situation. I have an old set of aluminum american racing wheels( I think), 8luggers that DO HAVE steel inserts in the lug holes. My problem is one wheel is missing all 8 inserts. The insert pops right out with a tap from a punch. I can't find anything like them so far but I belive they are part of the wheel and not part of a lugnut package. I'm going to try and get some made at a machine shop since I have a pattern for them to follow. I don't know if you have 6 or 8 lugs, but I believe it is a do-able thing to salvage the wheels.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

One of the mags did an article on this a few years ago. They added the inserts you are talking about and also fixed a rim that was "curbed" pretty bad. The problem is I don't remember what mag it was in (maybe 4Wheel&Off-Road) or the date. I don't remember who did the work, either (might have been Stockton Wheel). Sorry I couldn't help more, but at least you know the answer is out there. Good luck finding it.