Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aluminum wheels, forged or cast?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Jul 25, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I keep reading how forged wheels are much stronger, well hell I should hope so for $1000 a set. Are cast wheels like the 589's that susceptible to breaking or cracking? Seems like there are alot of trucks in the mags running them with big tires.
    P.S. Anybody seen Al Gore lately? Me either, THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The limited "big tired cast rimd" ones I've seen looked O.K. with no signs of cracking. But, thay have all been street runners and the largest one was maybe a 33"er.

I've only seen one cast rim that had cracks, on and around the bolt holes. I think it was a manufactureing defect or intalation thing. Not a cast rim thing.

Almost every cast rim I've ever seen, said it was for 33" or smaller tire.

Twiztid

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, the forged wheels are what the better wheels are made of. The cast ones can crack and break easier.

My wheels on the 85 are the forged Weld Racing's. They have a 3200 lbs. weight rating per wheel. That means it would take an awful LOT of weight to bend one of them. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

4. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I've noticed some project trucks in the mags using 589's and Mickey Thompson Classic II's with 35 and 37 inchers. TRUCKS! used the Mickeys on Big Blaze. They said something about some steel inserts for the lug holes or something. I just definitely like the price better on the Classic II's.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I paid about $1000 for a set of Weld Racing brand "Super Single" 16.5 x 9.75. "Forged 3400 lbs rating" About one month out of warranty, I got a hairline crack in one of them.
    The company would not help.
    It was a radial crack about in the middle of the rim section
    and it leaked air. I siliconed it (inside) but the crack got longer. So I had it welded and this turned the wheel into
    scrap. I now run 589s. See my ad in the wheel section.

SteveB