Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Always something! RANT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Need to get this off my chest to mechanicly inclined folks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif It's over Mr's Reapers head. All she kows is I'm in the garage again cursing. She associates the frequency and volume of the cursing with how much it's going to cost LOL.
    My truck seems to be one of the more reliable POS in my driveway. It is always ready to go unless I'm in the middle of some upgrade.
    My daily driver Supra is sitting in the garge till at least tuesday night on jack stands. Fun car but it's beginning to piss me off!
    I bought the thing with a blown engine. Tossed a used Japan motor in it. Few things that have always been wrong is some anoying noises and clunks in the front end. Just kept driving it.
    A year after owning it it started to run bad. I start snooping around...both exhaust valves on the #2 cylinder burned BAD.
    So pull the head and rebuild it. My fault really. THe previous owner drove this thing till it was dead. Blew a head gasket and he tried to fix it with about a gallon of stop leak. So much of it in the radiator I had to scrap it.
    This knuckle head drove it to the point that it over heated it so bad that it melted the High temp ceramic plastic plug wire ends off (these things are rated 500 degrees I hear). When I pull the head off the old motor to see if I can salvage a couple valves guess what cyclinder was so cooked that it had holes in the piston...yep #2.
    Here is where that became my fault. If I had pulled that old motor appart sooner and seen the damage I would have know the injector was lean for #2. So I really got lucky I didn't fry the motor. I also found the knock sensor was bad. My guess is they were cooked to deatch from over heating it so bad. Lucked up an a bud had a full set of used injectors that I traded for a sub woofer. Also had the knock sensor.
    That was about a year ago. On to now. This thing is got to the point where it was going through $4 a quart Mobil1 synthetic about evey 400 miles. Valve covers leaking. Reason I didn't catch it sooner is it was leaking into the vally between the valve covers where the spark plugs go (Hemi design heads). I pull out #6 plug wire and look in the vally and it's full of oil. I sucked 1/2 quart of oil out of there! Now I know that this oil streak in front of my house was from my car and not the garbage truck LOL. The distributor has alwasy leaked a little. The shaft seal internaly is bad. $200 to fix because this distributor is not serviceable. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif So I just let it leak a little.
    Now to do something about this I have to remove about half the intake to get the valve covers off LOL. Should be a nice smoke show when I fire it back up from all the oil that I couldn't get out from around the plugs before I pulled them gets burned LOL.
    I noticed my EXPENSIVE BFG G-Force tires were wearing funny on the front. THe rack has had a problem since I bought it and I thought most of the noise from the front was that. Nope lower ball joints are shot....I MEAN SHOT. Front suspension is a work of art. Twin un equal lenght A-Arms. Upper being aluminum. Car is still a McFerson strut but the strut is not tied into the spindle like a front drive it's to the lower control arm. SO with the weight of the car off the suspension there is no load on the ball joints. I grab the spindal assembly and start moving it. I have no less then a 1/4 probably closer too 3/8's if an inch up and down movement and atleast the same in and out!!!!!!! that lower ball joint suports ALL the weight of the front end. It's a wonder I havn't had the suspension come apart the way I drive this car. Thankfully Advanced can get these at a measley $56 each. Far better than the $79 each the dealer wants.
    Rack is going to have to wait a couple more months. $420 before the core chage is taken off. Will also replace the outer tie rod ends at $53 a peice at the same time. New mount bushings are $35 each also. New rack comes with new inner tie rod ends.
    Urgggg.who said imports are echonomical? Once they get old everything is 4 times the price to repair!
    Yep old dollar is my buddy for the next week at 8.75 mpg LOL.
    Ok out to the Garage for a couple hours and finsh fixing the leaks and change the rear diff oil. Hay it has a drain on the diff! hehehe so that's an easy job.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Grim, do you feel better now? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I know the feeling. I have to do some work on Donna's Pontiac. I was under the hood yesterday and noticed it looks like the tstat housing is going to need replaced. It also needs an oil pan and valve cover gasket, struts, and front tires. I can't complain since the car has over 180k on it and has served us well.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Quick! Put the car back together and put it up on eBay while posting yourself as someone else and advertise the car as "perfect and in pristine condition."

Sell it and hope the buyer doesnt leave a negative feedback. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Grim
    Yeah I know that feeling..
    On my 91 prelude I threw my timing belt on the freeway, not a good thing, had to change that, reshave the head and put in a new water pump and fuel pump including new belts.
    Then had to change the heater hoses and any other hoses that were bad, the only thing about hondas is that you have to buy the set from the dealer, universal doesn't work on some parts of the engine, that sucked, but it had to be done.
    Then a month after that my transmission went out, had that fix from a friend of mine that works for a transmission shop, it costed me $1300.00 ouch?!
    Then of all things and bad luck to this car, I ran into a curb when I fell asleep at the wheel, no body damage but I threw the wheel at an angle in which the two front wheels are fighting to turn on each other. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    At this time the prelude sits while I'm working on the blazer.
    I'm kinda giving up on them hondas, they are costing me too much to fix compared to a Blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Today is my birthday 12/15/02, I reach the old fut age and so far its been boring for quite awhile /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Take care Grim.
    And Merry Christmas to you and your Family. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Quick! Put the car back together and put it up on eBay while posting yourself as someone else and advertise the car as "perfect and in pristine condition."

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah you don't know how close I have come to doing something like that.
    The wife monkey wrench has hit also. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    After deciding not to put up the tree this year because of 22 month old running around. We do most of X-Mas at my moms so in my mind not a big deal and would let me work on a lot of other stuff......change of plans. So now the car sits and we are doing the tree and of course the kids are quilting me into doing the outside of the house.
    So looks like a mid nighter on the car after the kids are in bed and probable a few hours monday to get a few other things taken care of then Tuesday when ball joints come in I can install them. With some luck the car will be on the road Wendsday. Course it will be my luck the ball joints will take to friday to get here. LOL

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thats why ya open a 2nd Ebay account under a different name /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Sell it and hope the buyer doesnt leave a negative feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel. My g/f also has a 91 Prelude. She bought this car new and has kept it in prsitine condition. I mean always garaged, regular service, waxed every 6 months, interior perfect, I mean pristine.

Anyway, she is always giving me a hard time about the maintenance costs of my newer 96 firebird. Always something wrong with that damn thing. Well, last fall, her car was going through PS fluid like nobody's business. turned out to be a bad PS pump. You wanna talk about a PITA to get at and change! Anyway, it took me a few knuckles and a lot of cussing, but got that changed. Then it was making some strange "rubbing" noise. She took it ot this shop where she always got work on it before me. They said they heard the noise but wasn't sure what it was, but her rack was leaking and she had an oil leak, not too mention they thought she needed clutch work.

Well, next day, the day before we are leaving for a camping trip to Colorado, and 3 days after the engine blew in my Jimmy, she is going home from work and the car just stopped. Had it towed to the shop and the timing belt had broken. Towed it to the shop (same shop) and they looked at her maintenance records (again) and suddenly decided she should have had it changed about 5-10K ago (didn't have that on their list the previous day). Well, damage total? Interference engine + blown timing belt = new head. Cha ching.

Just about a month ago her alternator went. We also changed her oil pan gasket (dealer only item). Her power antenna (also dealer only item) broke. Her car was reliable and solid for a good 10 years. but when it has started to go, it has gone fast! I think I have a pretty red RTI ramp for our 4x4 club soon!

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that Grim...
    being that my family swears by toyota's (except me of course) I have made a general assumption which seems even more realistic after reading these post, when you own just about any yota, honda etc and the first major $ thing breaks its time to sell it, you see toyota rarely makes and stocks things for cars that are outdated to them 10yrs old....therefore parts become special order or search a junkyard for items. To have them repaired is expensive. Sure the engines will run 300,000 miles its the rest of the car that usually has trouble keeping up. I started right in my opinion with an old chevy, easy to fix, cheap, sure it drinks gas but I am safe, and gas prices still never add up to the parts prices of any import I would ever own.

I say start driving the blazer more often sure in your case a long commute is much easier, more comfortable and economical in a 30mpg car vs the 8.75 mpg dollar....
    Good Luck! We all feel your pain.