Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Always something

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Jul 11, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

At lunch today I noticed that my drivers side front fender is pushed up against my door taking the paint off. Just something left over from the run a few weeks ago, does anybody know how many bolts I have to loosen and retighten?

Steve

2. CK5

You mean to tell me, nobody has ever adjusted their front fener before?

Steve

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

4. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good opportunity for a tech article to me ;)
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

From what I gather the only adjustments to fenders are done with a sawsall.....

I think there are only two one under the rocker panel and one on top under the cowl panel....

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

6. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Nope, never adjusted. I think there are only two though. Mine are a bit past the adjusting period. oh wait, I'm not sure if those bolts by the hood hinge do anything to the fender or not...can't remember, better look @ them.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

7. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I would say take it all the way off and then re-attach it. I don't think you can do it by just manipulating the bolts in a certain way. I have only replaced them, I have never tweaked them. Sorry, bro. You could just punt and take the fenders off. No worries about fender munching then! [​IMG]

8. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Not sure of the number of bolts, but have you also checked the door all the way around, as well as the hood alignment. This will help you make sure it is just the fender(which it probably is) Just make sure you don't loosen the bolts too much and have a shim fall out while moving fender, and then try and find where it fell out

9. Check out the attatched pic, I hope it will help. If loosening and/or shimming them doesn't allow you to move it enough, then you may have to loosen up the two body mounts under the radiator support.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Steve,

Depending on where the fender is contacting the door, you will have to loosen the 3 bolts on the rear of the fender like in Big Burbs pic. Theres a bolt down low where it attaches to the Rocker panel then theres one that is exposed after opening the door, the third is found under the hood near the firewall. If your problem is near the body line, then you will probably have to move the fender forward. If the fender and door are out of alignment (evident from looking parallel with the door and fender when the door is shut), you can either move the door outward or the fender outward. Or vice versa. If it is rubbing low on the door and fender, chances are you rubbed hard while offroading. You can then either adjust the door by tilting up on the back slightly after loosening the door hinge bolts that attach to the door jamb/firewall. One of the bolts on my 78 was installed (factory) from inside the vehicle through the glovebox on the passanger side and under the dash on the drivers side. You will need an extension with a wobble fitting to get this one. I would just try moving the fender forward first. If you loosen the 3 rear fender bolts and find it will not move enough, try removing a bolt that is located inside the wheelwell that connects the inner fender to the firewall. Always loosen the bolts, do not remove them completely if not required.

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

11. CK5

Thanks guys, I must have missed the one down by the rocker panel, the fender didn't move, a project for another time I guess. I may have to hook the fender to a beam or something and back up slowly. [​IMG]

Steve

12. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

hey steve,i had the same problem on mine a while back, all three loose but no movement, then i remembered the inner fender is bolted to the firewall too, the bolt head may be covered in crap, mine was but after loosened that one the whole thing moved very easy, just tighten up the three before you retighten the fender well bolt,

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"