Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I a Lucky S.O.B. ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyTrucker, Apr 15, 2003.

1. ChevyTrucker

ChevyTrucker Registered Member

Here's the deal..I own and drive a 1987 GMC Jimmy 4x4(Full size) 350 5.7ltr V8, 1/2 ton. I received a phone call from my best friend with this offer...I help him remove a GM 350 5.7 Crate motor with 24K miles on it from a 1981 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pick-up truck. His favor in return is that I get to keep anything I want from this truck before he sends it to the scrap yard.(Body is shot ! No title). Is it worth the time and effort to install these axles and tranfer case to my 87 Jimmy ? What kind of gas MPG will I sacrifice or gain ? What are the advantages of running these parts on my truck ?

I will install these parts myself if I see that its worth the time and labor. I aim to have a rock solid, bullet proof truck..Is this the direction I want to go in ? Any info and advice will be noted and much appreciated. Thanks fellas and ladies /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

PS..I forgot to ask what series of Danas is the 81 3/4 ton running from factory ? Sorry for the repost.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

fill out your profile and give us some info. What gear ratio are your axles? What ratio are the 3/4 tons? They will be heavier. Is the rear axle a 14 bolt full floater? The rear is not a Dana axle and most likely neither is the front. Both are GM Corporates(14 bolt out back and 10 bolt out front). What size tires are you running or planning?

3. ChevyTrucker

What info in my profile is missing ? I just looked at it and I see nothing wrong with the way it is. Be a lil more specific. I havent seen this 81 3/4 ton truck yet because my friend lives 3 hours away from my home. I can not give you much info on this truck because I have yet to see it..Im trying to get some info from the "Experts" Im not new to the auto scene..but I need to learn more about the 4x4 world. I will call my friend and ask him to gimme some more info and I will post it ASAP. Thanks.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not trying to be mean or talk down to you just saying you need to supply us with that info so we can help you. I was just commenting cause I don't see where you are from and you may never know someone may want to buy a part or two and that could make it worth your while.

5. ChevyTrucker

No offense taken. I filled in some more info for ya. Im supposed to be working and not goofin off. Oh well, Boss is not around and my work is comleted /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I plan on runnin 33's on 17or18"rims on a 4" suspension lift. I live in the city..So I gotta be within regs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've seen rigs with 4" of lift get through some serious terrain. I think I will be alright with that amount of lift and the kind of wheelin I plan on doing. what's you opinion ? I welcome all opinions. Isn't that what 4 wheelin is all about ? Meeting new friends and havin a good time ? Unlike the street racer scene /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. ChevyTrucker

Here's the dealie yo ! My best buddy just gave me some info on the 81 3/4 ton..rear axle is a 12 bolt, front is a 10 bolt, NP208 Trans Case. Any advice or comments ? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Your buddies 3/4 ton is a 1/2 ton. You have a NP208 in your already. You have a 10 bolt front, but the 12 bolt rear is stronger than your 10 bolt rear. If it has better gears than yours, then yes it would be worth it, if not then no.

Dan

8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Inless the axles have been changed, the rear will be a ten bolt. If it's a 3/4 ton, with 8 lugs, it will have a semi float 14 bolt, and the front will be a 10 bolt, and have a 208 case.

9. ChevyTrucker

The 81 3/4 ton is an 8 lug. This is certain.

10. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

If the transfer case works than keep it for a spare or sell it for alittle extra cash. Same with the axles. I'd do it fer the axles and tranny/transfer just for spares. You never know when you might need them. If space is an issue than sell them and make some money to get what you want for yours.

11. ChevyTrucker

Oh yeah man. No doubt about it..I wasnt planning on changing out the trans case until i blew mine up or something. The trans case will wind up in storage..My concern is the axle upgrade. thanks.

12. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

The only problem I see is the change from 6-8 lug wheels. Other than that it is primarily straight up swap. Easy. If it is a 8 lug than more than likely the gears are better. My buddy just got one the same way and when we opened up the diff's there 4.88's in there. So I would say get it all and open them up. It just might be a jewel. And if it is a true 3/4 ton and it is 8 lug than more than likely the rear is a 14 bolt. If your buddy says it is a 12 than get it because it might have the Full Floating kit installed and those are pretty tough and expensive to build. I would say it is worth it if you are only runnin stock axles now. Anything is an up grade from them. I know because I drive on them. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Should be a SF 14 in the rear and an 8 lug 10 bolt up front. Common gears for 3/4 tons were 3.73 and 4.10's. Your buddy may have been fooled by the fact it's a SF rear and assumed it was a 12 bolt. If it's 8 lug it is a 14 though.

I'd do it and swap the diff's under your K5, and keep or sell the tranny and T-case as well as the driveshafts. Might as well grab the steering box, brake booster, wiper motor and steering column as well.

4" of lift is perfect, and those diff's will live quite fine with up to a 35 or 36" tire.

rene

14. ChevyTrucker

That's more like the kind of answers Im looking for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks TrustyK5..I will be getting more detailed info and history on the diffs some time tonight from the original owner..Staye tuned for more...Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

18" rims? yikes!! the pimp mobile! no need to go 3/4t on a mall cruiser, I'd just sell the axles and rake in the $.

j

16. ChevyTrucker

I stand corrected (so does my friend)..The axles are GM Corporate 14 Bolts ! Yeah baby ! Now what ? BTW..I mentioned 18"s just to get a reaction /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif..FYI..I would be real dumb to run 18" wheels on a weekend trail rig /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif anyways...the tire size i want to run is 17" on the new Nitto Terra Grappler tires. Am I gonna upgrade this axle into mine or should I make some $ ? anyone who is hunting for a front or rear axle..make me an offer..shipping is on you

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IT WILL HAVE A 14 BOLT FULL FLOATER OUT BACK!

The first year for the semi floating 14 bolt in the rear is 1982. If it is indeed an '81 3/4 ton, it will have a 10 bolt front and 14 bolt full floater.

Oh, and are you lucky? I guess. I got my 3/4 ton axles the same way. I helped him pull the big block from the truck and he hooked me up with free 3/4 ton axles with 4.10s. My truck was an '82 though so it had the semi floater rear. Oh well, four new rims and I have 4.10s instead of 3.08s. Worked great for me.

18. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Sorry 84ChevyK10, mine in an '81 and came with a s/f. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

81 was the first year for many things...NP208, 14 SF rear in 3/4 tons, 32 spline 465's, and the new front clip. I think the ESC was also intro'd in 81.

I'd swap the diff's under the K5. They're a good score but not a huge money maker...

How is the pricing on the Nitto's?

Rene

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sell the stuff. only a matter of time b4 u want a D60 anyway.

j