Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

am i doing it again?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Aug 22, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

with the last truck i built, i fell into a trap. bigger is better. started out with a 350/203 and an 86 C10. bought a K10 shortbox parts truck, and a set of 3/4 ton axles. i got to reading, and the 350/203 didnt seem like a good idea, so i bought a hydro 465/205 combo. that wasnt enough so i bought a K30 parts truck for the 60. my 6" EZ Rides werent enough, so i switched to 52s. the 36" tires i was planning on running were way underkill for the 1 tons, so i bought a set of 40" TSLs on beadlocks.

fast forward to this project... i bought the C1500, and decided (due to a bent frame) to swap it onto a K1500 chassis, and SFA it. scored a Dana 44 on EBay for $25, less outers. i'm going to need to regear it, and buy some outers (already bought a flat top and steering arm for the required crossover too). then i get my SFA brackets. well, the spring bushing holes in the brackets are too big, and the front crossmember is too wide for the frame. this setup would've added 2" to the lift height of the springs, making my 4" TC EZ Rides perfect for a set of 35s. well i sent them back, and the brackets that i'm looking at buying now will add 4". should be able to clear 37" MTRs.

now my Dana 44 doesnt look like such a good idea anymore, as i planned on buying a set of Boggers so i can really play at the local bogs. my buddy who runs every one regularly breaks his 44 with 33" Mud Terrains.

am i falling into the same trap? or am i just spending my money wisely by thinking seriusly about a 60?

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, if you know you are gonna break it, is it cheaper to fix it several times (both in the cost of parts and time) or is it cheaper to put a D60 in, and save yourself the trouble / cost of future repair?

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I can see where this is going, just go with a 60 it's what you want......or you could Mogs or rockwells!!!

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

STFU, dont tempt me! :haha:

my goal is a streetable truck, that i can still go out and beat on when i want. originally the truck was slated to be a lowered, blown and injected piece. after seeing too many trucks that looked similar, i decided to go the lifted route, and dropped the blown and injected part.

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ah come on man ya know ya want to :laugh: