Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am i Doomed???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Jul 21, 2004.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok Next week the k5 will officially be on and off the road. Exhaust done, new front shaft ect. I have been reading alot about gears and how if you do not have the right one your tranny's can take a crap. I have the stock 10bolts till i get enough money to drop a 14bolt ff in. I have 3:73s in the front and rear, and i am also running 35" claws. How long should i expect this to last. I plan on going with 4:10s when i get the 14bolt. Oh and the trans is a 700R4

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

seen better, driven worse.

a tranny temp gage would be a good $50 spent to monitor the abuse.

id recomend 4lo whenever your wheeling to keep the tranny cool.

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah im deff going to get a gauge. Doing a filter and fluid change on the tranny this weekend so i think ill do it then! Thanks

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

3.73's and 35's should be alright imho. Going from 3.73's to 4.10's isnt even really going to be a noticeable difference. Personally, if I had 3.73's and 35's, i would just leave them, and try to find a 14ff with 3.73's in it already to save me the cost of re-gearing. If you really want, since you have the od transmission, you could go even lower than 4.10's. It all depends on what the truck will be used for. If you do a lot of highway miles, then 3.73's will be perfect. If you do more offroad, or hardcore offroad, you might even want lower than 4.10's. I am runing 4.56's, 37's, and a 700r4 and love it. It has plenty of torque in town, the od keeps the rpm's in a good range even at 75-80 mph on the highway, and its nice and low offroad. The only problem with anything lower than 4.10's is that it will be very rare to find an axle with the gears in it already. My 14ff came factory with 4.56's and a detroit, but it was also a military axle. I had to buy the front gears and have a friend put them in.
    -Harrison

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    seen better, driven worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, my brother used to have 35's and 3.08's. He ran it for about 2 years of everyday driving, plus frequent offroading with no real problems. He did eventually burn up the motor and transmission though, but that was after he re-geared.

[ QUOTE ]
    a tranny temp gage would be a good $50 spent to monitor the abuse.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Correction- A better $50 spent would be to buy yourself the biggest B&M transmission cooler that summitt offers. Then if you have enough money, buy the guage. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    -Harrison