Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I forgetting anything???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leper, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Military D60 and 14FF w/Detroit on the way for this weekend. 37" Rockers ordering today to go on the 16x10 rockcrawlers I have already. SYE for the 241 next week. Diff cover for the 14 from DIY4X in the mail. Crossover steering is going on when the 60 goes in. Moving the axles 1" out f/r when doing the swap also. Ordering the 6" shackles from ORD. Driveshaft on standby from Jess(gotta measure). Looking at a Detroit for the 60 and thinking about hydro assist also. Am I missing anything?? Any suggestions on anything I should do to it while it is down? Lift is done. I'm happy with my engine and tranny. EXO is done and winch is installed. Fuzzy dice are on the mirror. I can't think of anything else.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Disk brake swap:D

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

crossover

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

should have got bigger tires :D
    REMEMEBR you have 1TONS :rolleyes: :p:

5. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

wow,how about the creidit card bill????sound like your going to have fun with all of those new parts.

6. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

dont forget the girl in the passenger seat! :D

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

possible crossover problem with the 1"zero rates in front if thats how you are moving it . might need longer studs and 1" block for the arm to clear the spring packs. just ask them when you order stuff.

all parts sound good. and yes disk rear .

8. mikey_d05

I have a pro-comp 4" spring pack (thick) and a zero rate. The superlift studs were long enough and the ORD crossover has plenty of clearance.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

REMEMBER this is still a semi DD. If I were to go with the 39.5 or bigger, I would have to get different wheels redo my cage and hack the hell out of my fenders(with onlt a 5" lift). Do you agree with that? If I am missing something, please tell me, I would love to run bigger tires.

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I am going with a BubbaBuilt crossover setup, so all clearance issues will be addressed at build time.
    I know I might get flamed for this, but I don't see the advantage of disc brakes on the trail. I have sen a drum act as a point of traction. The rears only do 20% of the stopping and the cost and complication, to me, doesn't justify it. AGAIN, if I am missing something, please enlighten me.
    The bigger tire response has got me thinking. If I go bigger, and get different wheels with less backspacing, the brakes on the rear will be more exposed. I would feel better with a drum exposed than a disc and caliper. Especially for rocks.

I really appreciate all the responses. Tires are on hold for now.

11. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

in the mud, disks are much better than drums. but if you dont plan on much mud then stick with the drums....i would rather have a drum come in contact with a rock than a disk....

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

13. mikey_d05

The main argument for disks on the trail is that they clean whereas drums tend to pack themselves with mud. I can lock my rears (40" bogger) up on pavement, so I doubt I'll be going disk any time soon. It's worth pulling the drum off and cleaning out once in a while. Besides....those little fins on your drums are like tire lugs :D

As for the tire fitment, you could run 39.5's on 5". After spring sag and hanging a winch off the front I believe I'm only running 4-5 and the didn't rub at all last weekend with some pretty good flex goin on. There is quite a bit of trimming involved but it can be made to look nice. If you know someone that works in a body shop they should be able to roll an edge after you cut so it looks factory. Either that or use some weatherstripping to cover the edge. The main problem people run into is knocking tires on the back of the front inner fender. With a little work you can push it back and fasten it to the firewall to create a good deal more clearance.

The amount of trimming depends on the actual height of the tire, the width, where the axle is, and how much backspacing you have (mostly dealing with scrub radius and it's counterparts). I run 40" boggers (friggin wide) on 15x12's with 4.25" of backspacing and my front axle moved 1.5" forward. Lots of trimming was involved but I didn't hear a tire scrub a single time last weekend and I was balanced on two wheels a couple of times.

14. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

So you're the guy that won the Power Ball lottery :haha:

15. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

LOL... No, I'm the guy that has been eating sandwiches for several months, and I haven't seen my credit cards for months either. I have been saving for a while and I am selling my F150.
    BTW if anyone is looking for a sweet lowered F150 on 20"s with a full custom front and rear end, let me know and I will sell it to a CK5 member for a grand less than it will be on EBAY for this wekend.

16. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Just get bigger tires, you wil eventually want them and you will kick yourself for buying the smaller ones.

17. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I want them NOW but, I am waiting on pics and info on another thread. If I go 39.5x16.50x16, like I am thinking, it will mean removing and rebuilding my Exo-cage. I do not have time or money for that. If I can make it work, I will go big. If not, I will go 37" and by the time they wear out, I will have cash to redo the cage.

Thanks to all that have responded so far. Your opinions mean alot to me.