Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I forgetting anything ???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Next step is my axle swap. Going 3/4 ton. I know going from a 1/2 ton Dana 44 to a 3/4 ton Dana 44 should be nothing more then a remove and replace. Okay for the rear, I've got a 14 Bolt FF. I'm getting rid of those damn blocks while I'm at it. I've got the ORD 4" Shackle Flip kit. I'm buying Tuff Country 3" rear lift springs. I know I'll need a new U-Joint and 8 lug rims. Is there anything I'm forgetting ??? Will I need anything else to go from a 12 bolt rear axle to a 14 Bolt FF rear axle ???? Getting ready fairly soon. (6" lift in the front, 7" lift in the rear)

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

get some shock mounts that don't hang down past the axle.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Before and after pics. I so wish I would have taken some more pics in my buildup. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    get some shock mounts that don't hang down past the axle.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not messing with any of that at this time (That might be a latter project). Just wanted to know if I'm forgetting anything I'll need to do the swap.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Before and after pics. I so wish I would have taken some more pics in my buildup. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Will do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Gotta love having a digital camera.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got the ORD 4" Shackle Flip kit. I'm buying Tuff Country 3" rear lift springs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok lets do the math here 4+3=7 right. Well I would say you better start saving for some new drive lines and brake lines.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

He already has a 6" lift on the truck right now (blocks and add-a-leaf in the rear) and has lengthened the driveshafts. Just getting rid of the blocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    He already has a 6" lift on the truck right now (blocks and add-a-leaf in the rear) and has lengthened the driveshafts. Just getting rid of the blocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yeap, that's whats up.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've got the ORD 4" Shackle Flip kit. I'm buying Tuff Country 3" rear lift springs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok lets do the math here 4+3=7 right. Well I would say you better start saving for some new drive lines and brake lines.

[/ QUOTE ] Current plans are what I listed for the rear, in the front I've got Superlift 6" lift springs. I'm thinking the ORD Heavy Duty Front Shackles with greasable bushings. I may swap out the Superlift springs for 6" lift Tuff Country springs. If I do, that won't be for atleast another year or so. But that ORD Heavy Duty Front Shackles should give me another 1/2" of lift up front. So front 6.5" lift, and rear 7" lift. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Then trim the fenders for the 38" Ground Hawg radials /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm consittering Bushwacker fender flairs, but not sure if I'd just **** them up out in the forest. I know I've said this befor, but I'm mostly into exploring for old ghost towns out in the Black Hills national forest. Rocks just arn't my main intrest.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So back to the original question. Am I forgetting anything ???

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I didnt have to change anything on my Blazer when I replaced the 12 bolt with a 14 bolt except for what you already said. Can't really think of anything else... just driveline (usually just the U-joint), U-bolts and plates.

Good luck with the swap...it should all go smoothly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Plates ??? I'm not picturing any plates in my mind. Where do they go ???

13. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Oh, I just meant the U-bolt plates that sit on top of the springs...that the U-bolts go through and the nuts tighten down on.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, that makes sence now. Thanks.

15. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I just ordered a set of the Ubolt plates and Ubolts from ORD for a customer for whom I am doing this swap. That is the only thing you left out. They run $60, the Ujoint is in the neighborhood of $20. I would definitely wait until you have your rear suspension ironed out before you do the swap, you don't want to have to pay for Ubolts twice, IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thats the plans. Getting all the parts befor I start on it. Wanta do it all at once instead of taking it back apart becouse I forgot something. I'm so much wanting to go wheeling in the hills, but just don't trust my 1/2 ton axles, and the little stock size tires just don't do it for me, LOL. [​IMG]

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    He already has a 6" lift on the truck right now (blocks and add-a-leaf in the rear) and has lengthened the driveshafts. Just getting rid of the blocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No chit I must have missed that part. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hey Paul I'm in the middel of doing the same swap also. I got a set of axels from a 73 K20. I have already sand blasted the front axel and have primed it. Of course I will totally flush it all out and replace all the bearings roters calipers and pads. As for the 14 bolt I'm hoping to have time this weekend to blast it also and of course it will also get all new bearing. Been looking at all the diffrent disk brake convertion kits to get the rear end stopping. I just got My new wheels today from Summit. 15x8 8 lug to the door for $115.75. They are white but I'm gonna pick up a quart of black paint and shoot them cause I hate white wheels but hey for $115 bucks who can complain. Also getting an SM465/205 from the same truck that the axels came from just as soon as I do some backhoe work for the guy. After that plans are for F-250 shock towers and fab up some rear shock mounts for 9012's. Also still need to finish the paint job this spring/summer and do the interior.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Bet you'll get yours done befor I get all the parts I'll need !!! I'm on a pretty limitted bugjet, gotta pay the bills can really slow down the build up. I've got the 3/4 Ton axles, and the ORD 4" Shackle Flip. Still need the 3" lift springs for the rear, aswell as the U-bolts and spring plates, and U-joint.(Might just have a new Driveshaft made. Want one with a CV joint to get rid of the vibration) I've got some bills to take care of this month, so I might just get the U-bolts and spring plates for the rear, and the ORD Heavy Duty Front Shackles with greasable bushings. Put the 3" rear lift springs on hold for another month. Luckly when I've got everything, my banker said I'm approved for a loan (for the 38" Ground Hawg radial tires) from the first national bank of mom.

20. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No chit I must have missed that part

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't post it, I just have inside info. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif