Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I Lucky Or What!!!! (roof rack)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Jun 26, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have been agonizing over purchasing a rack for my truck. A Con-Fer basket rack is $270, plus $108 for the brackets, plus $87 for the floor part. Too expensive. [​IMG] I took pictures of Thumper's rack down to the local welding shop, $400. [​IMG] So, I decided that I would go to Pick-N-Pull and grap one on a recked Blazer there. It is the cheesy thin frame one, just like on station wagons, but I figured I could bolt a Thule rack to it later. As I am heading back to the truck section, what do I see? A trashed Ford Fairmont wagon with a BOMBER homemade rack on it!!!! [​IMG] It covers the length of the roof, has triangles for sides (great idea) and has hooks for lashing rope to. All welded. I pulled the thing off, and the guy charged me -- GET THIS -- $14.76!!!! [​IMG] I had some black spray paint (don't ask [​IMG]), and it looks store-bought now! And I am now off to get the bolts and some silicone and I have a rack! I will post pics is a few days, when my roll of film is up.

I feel great, just had to share....Wow, this makes my year! [​IMG] I'd love to learn of other's great scores for their trucks also. It can be done! WHOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! [​IMG]

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I FOUND A YAKIMA BIKE RACK WITH ALL THE GOODIES FOR BIKES AND SKIIS FOR 50 BUCKS. LAST WEEK I FOUND A RECIEVER RACK FOR 10 BUCKS AT A YARD SALE AND 15X10 ALUMINUM MOD WHEELS FOR 10 APIECE. GOTTA LOVE IT!

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

yakima racks are the best and for the money it cant get ne better. i work at a canoe and kayak place and we put them on, they are awesome and found at liek a conoe and kayak retailer.

'87 BIG BAD AND MEAN

4. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

My friend found a nice hitch on the side of the road with a 2 inch ball in it and gave it to me. It works nicely especially when i picked up my new three wheeler the other nite.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

$400.00 huh? wow, it never cost me that much! [​IMG]
    Is that for just the cage? Or the basket as well?

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>