Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I nuts?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by justhorsinaround, Sep 2, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

There is a fellow not to far away from me that is willin to sell me a one ton long bed 454 4x4 for pretty cheap willin to take payments and what not. My dilemna is that we still have to have room for the chilluns so what I'm thinkin is a walk through with maybe a Blazer back seat. So havein said that, what do y'all think might be employed to cover and seal the back seating area? A cut down Blazer top or maybe one of those half camper thingies or just what? This is all just dreamin n stuff right now but do y'all think it could be done for not to much? After the cost of the truck of course.

I'm lookin forward to your ideas! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif ?

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Probably a sleeper would work best for this, but its gonna be hot back there.......here's another idea... swap drivetrains then keep your blazer and resell the truck

3. justhorsinaround

Ooooo I forgot to mention that he is fixin the A/C (yea yea yea A/C) and puttin in a new oil pump.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

So you swap drivetrain , harness and all a/c parts , sell the other truck ( to me on payments so I can get cloumn etc ) and you will have a built Blazer with a/c

BTW You way more than nuts DOOD /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. justhorsinaround

Ko but what if I want a vehicle that I can tow a car trailer with? Guess this is the point. I wouldn't mind havein a truck that I don't have to worry about hitchin a car trailer up to or maybe even God forbid a fifth wheel and hit the road. I don't know. Maybe this is just somethin better left to somebody elses stable. Just seems like such an appealing idea. A competent and from what I can tell so far a dependable vehicle that I can drive and not be lookin around to make sure no one is laughin and not worry about whether or not I will make it to much less through work.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty tired. It's been a really hot miserable couple of days cruisin around installin Coxfu****in cable.

6. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

keep the blazer and put all the axles and stuff in the blazer. i had to ride in campers, and half campers growing up it sucked. i was so happy when my dad got a blazer, the back seat is so much better the a camper bed.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The other thing is what about the floor , bed and cab riding welded together , or are the kids going to be dropping everything through the opening ? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Oh and it cant be that miserable , Michelle got shitcanned today , and thank god she gets 3 weeks paid vacation owed her /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Am I nuts?

[/ QUOTE ] Do ya really want to know the answer? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Since the one-ton is a 4x4, I would buy it. Just make sure it is a D60 in the front. You could swap the blazer body over to the one-ton frame and /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif the long bed into a really short 3-4ft. bed. So you would have an old school Avalanch. Than you could tow with it and the children would be in comfort. And your asking if your nuts /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    For serious towing, I would look for a mid 80's diesel one ton to tow with. You get better mileage and reliability. Also might be able to find a crew cad so the children would have a seat. Well I have said my .02

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Cutting the back out and using a sleeper can be done. It is almost the same amount of work (if sealed correctly) and probably $$ as finding a 4 door cab and using a 4ft bed. I think the 454 will be a bit of a hurrtle as far as gas goes. I say if it is in your budget (both money and time) it would be worth it.

You can also find a 2wd sub for dirt cheap ($500 or easily less) that can't run. This would make the donar body for your family rig using the long bed chassis/drivetrain.

Just some thoughts.

Oh, no you are not nuts. We have a 95% done project truck whose list of changes is nuts.