Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I nuts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grendel, Sep 7, 2003.

1. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Just bought a 2003 5.3L Vortec, 4l60E and T-case from a wracked Burb with 11K miles. Also bought a 99 D-60 and suspension from a Cummins 2500 Ram. Got a 14B with matching gears.

My thought: Add this to an 81 Blazer, INCLUDING the front four link and coils from the Ram. Use coil buckets from a full size F-150 or Bronco, the D-60 front that matches the t-case (don't know what it is), weld up my own link brackets and links, go long arm at the same time. 14 Bolt in the rear with disk brakes and hydro boost.

Now, what do I need for that engine in an 81 Chevy? I got the wiring harness, ecm and all accesories. I mean anything that was connected to that engine. Thought I might put add a cam, headers and ffee flowing exhaust. Any thoughts on the late model wiring for the engine and ecm? I plan to use aftermarket guages, so I'll be building my own wiring harness for part of it.

I'll be doing the more common stuff: 38" TSL's, shaving the diffs, cross over steering, steering brace, rear shackle flip, cage, locker and disk brakes in the 14B, alloy axles shafts and locker in the front to overcome the inherent weaknesses in the donor axle, stereo...

Just wondering what I am getting myself into...

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just wondering what I am getting myself into...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're beginning a unique, time-consuming, difficult, expensive, and AWESOME project...good luck. Oh, and we want pics. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

I am still thinking about that front end...

Any thoughts on it?

It's a D-60 but with 2 piece, 32 spline inner axleshafts, ball joints and unit bearings...

Think I might go hunt down a Ford D-60 instead.