Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I obsessive-compulsive?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Oct 28, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I saw a video on the "inner-web thing" (Ratch? :D ) about an obsessive-compulsive mail man putting the collection box in and out of the mail box for a couple minutes and the video title was something like "OCD mail man". I didn't know what "OCD" was so I looked it up on Google and did some reading.

After reading a bit I started to feel like I am semi-obsessive-compulsive or maybe just overly paranoid.

* I check light switches to be sure they are actually off - even though it is obvious they are off because there is no light in the room.
    * I check door locks about a dozen times before leaving.
    * I will climb back into my semi truck to be sure the parking brake is set - even though I know I set it.
    * And other miscellaneous similar things.

So while none of this indicates a obsessive-compulsive disorder because it doesn't really affect my daily life, it really got me interested in the disorder.

Then I came across a webpage on Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder. WOW! This almost describes exactly how I am. The only symptom that is only partially characteristic of me is "Inflexibility", because I am somewhat flexible... but not nearly as much as most people.

Also, I sometimes get very depressed when around other people, but other times I get very happy and excited (almost past the point of containment) for no reason at all when I am alone even if I am doing nothing more than driving down the road.

So now what? I really dislike going to doctors. Maybe it's just how I am and no action is needed?

:confused:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You are who you are , and don't let anyone put you on anything !!

I like to do strange things too , don't make me crazy .

Some of my idiotphyscocrazies :

Hall light and living light switches , on double panel must both pint same direction .
    PB&J or cake cannot be eaten without milk .
    No trash left in my truck .
    All my beers in the fridge must be an even number .
    I wash my hands often , almost everytime I am by a sink .

Theres more , ask my wife or 4xcrazy :D

So what I say is forget about it , be you .

America was better off when a few people got locked up for being crazy , and the rest of us minded our own business and kept it to ourselves and family :wink1:

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds like you may have a touch of it, that's for sure. Although the super-happy-when-alone syndrome seems strange.....:dunno:

I think that everyone has a little bit of obsessive-compulsive within them. I have 2 myself:

1. I ALWAYS have to double check the gas cap after I fill up. It's got to the point where I'll get in the car/truck and Kim Can will say "Yes, you put the gas cap back on". 3 times out of 4 I'll still get out and double check.

2. At work, our plastic gas service tees have a big threaded cap with an o-ring that needs to be REALLY tightened down on the tee or else it leaks. Before I backfill a tie-in hole, even if I put the cap on myself, I'll jump into the ditch and make sure the sucker is right tight.

You know what's funny? While typing this I just realized that BOTH of my OC issues involve caps. WTF happened in my life to cause that?:confused:

At any rate, if you honestly think you have a problem, I would recommend seeing a doc, regardless of your opinion of the profession. There may be a simple fix for your condition. And let's be honest- if you didn't think that there was a problem you wouldn't have posted this for the Brotherhood to see.....:deal:

Good luck and keep us posted, brother!!!!

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the input Pauly. It's good to know I'm not the only crazy guy around. :wink1:

Ya, it's strange for sure. It only happens when I am at work, which is driving a semi down the highway. So I know I'm not actually having any fun.

There was one thing from the webpage that worries me the most.

I always bite off more than I can chew, and I get really aggravated with myself when I can't accomplish these unreasonable goals. But I am very demanding of Michelle, and always find myself telling her how I do things, so she will be more like me rather than who she really is. She often feels inadequate when she fails to mantain the high standards that I dictate. I don't want to chase her away. Now that I realize my faults I can try to change in order to retain a loving relationship between us.

And Canmore.....

... don't forget your gas cap! :D

5. gauder

gauder Banned

I've been diagnosed with OCD. It is hard to deal with sometimes, like right now. I should be in bed because I worked nights but I can't pry myself away from this F*@&ing computer because I might "miss" something. Luckily I have a wonderful wife that helps me when things get really bad. My advice is go and see a doc, things may not be so bad now but they can escalate out of control.

A lot of my problems involve numbers too. Way too many to list here. PM me if you want to talk or have any questions.

Ryan

6. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Sometimes I think I have it a little bit, too. I tend to count a lot in my head... and totally stress if I think I left something on. My dad's office is right down the street from my house, so I will call my brother and see if he can run down to my house and make sure everything is OK. Not sure if that's OCD, but unless I get confirmation that all is well at my casa, I can't focus on anything else. :confused:

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i know how you feel about the dang computer.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Put the medical book down...back away slowly... :)

I think the more you read about mental diseases and even physical diseases,the more of them you convince yourself you have!..I am no different--I read symptoms of depression and anxiety,and obsessive compulsive disorder,and within seconds I'm convinced I have them all!..same with many other diseases...the mind is a powerful tool,it can make you sick just thinking about being sick..if you let it!..

It's perfectly normal to wonder "did I put my gas cap on",after a fill up-or "Is that faucet still running?"--as you drive off for a weeks vacation!..we all do it,unless it becomes a hinderance to your daily life,and starts controlling you,I'd say your perfectly normal..Many times its short term memory loss that leads to this behavior,not a "disease"..

Short term memory loss is often mistaken for obsessive-compulsive disorder..a lot of guys I know who smoke pot,that can't find their car keys,remember a name or phone number,or where they put that note they wrote with important imformation on it 5 minites later,and are always checking and re-checking everything constantly!..its a normal result of being stoned... :rolleyes: :p:

If they went to a doctor,
    guess which "disease" they would be diagnosed with??..they will be GLAD to prescribe mind altering pills you'll have to take for life,to treat your "disorder"..they make normal people's behavioral traits into medical issues, that need DRUGS to cure!

You know why??--because the companies who make those pills give the doctor free trips to Bermuda,medical supplies,scolarships,etc..and they don't want you to get better--just maintain your symptoms,keep them under control--so you will be buying those pills for a long time!!..
    If they cured you,you won't need the pills anymore,and they would lose money!..its all about the money--not your health!..many doctors are just legal pushers nowadays..especially when it comes to mental health medication. :(

I now refuse to take depression medication..I tried tricylic anti-depressants once..4 days later I wanted to visit the nearest tall bridge and go for a swim--and I don't know HOW to swim!. :screwy: .guess they didn't agree with my chemistry!..

I called the doctor,and he said to stop taking them immediately!..
    I tried all kinds of illegal drugs in high school and beyond--none of them made me want to end my life--quite the opposite in fact!..I did not enjoy my experience with prescription depression medication AT ALL!. I think they are a huge ripoff,and many folks who don't really need them get prescriptions for them--they hand them out like candy..

.I'd use a herbal remedy like St. Johns Wart before I'd use any mind altering chemicals again..
    I think just as many people commit suicide BECAUSE of antidepressants as they "help"...most of the ones I know on them are zombies,who dont want to go anywhere or do anything,and seem unable to experiance any real emotion..

I'd say you are perfectly normal to be concerned if your E-brake is on,your light switches are off,etc..better to be TOO careful,than to just lie back and assume you did something,and shrug it off later,after something bad happened because you didn't care,or were too lazy to go check again..your just being responsible--nothing wrong with that!--but if you find youself demanding others do exactly what you want them too,then that might be a sign of going over the edge..IMO... :crazy:

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Doctors are loons and it's probably a mental disorder to breathe... :rolleyes:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've got a touch of it too, i always checked my toolbox drawers 3 times to make sure they're closed before leaving the shop. 2 times wasnt sufficient, 4 times i would think to myself, "you're being too paranoid". the gas cap on my truck, has to click 3 times after a fill up. i build roof trusses at work, 3 trusses for each roof... if i've got enough made to build 4 roofs, and one extra, it drives me nuts until i build the next complete set of 3. i check to be sure my alarm clock is set 3 times every night. walking up the stairs in our house sometimes bothers me... there are 14 of them, if there were 15, i think i'd be ok with it, because after all, 3 x 5 = 15. :rolleyes: another thing that i do, the string of 3 periods after a sentence... dunno where it came from, but i cant shake it. i've been a Dale Earnhardt fan since i was little... why? because he drove the #3 car. never really thought about it until i read this post... maybe i'm crazy too. ah well, i guess its just part of the brotherhood. :D

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

BTW, doctors and pills are both bad, m'kay. i have a very high tolerance for pain, something has to be really wrong with me to go to the dr. i say if it isnt running your life, dont worry about it.

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

FREAK!!!!!!!!! :D

J/K

I have family like that. How do you sleep at night????

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

They sound like perfectly healthy habits to me. I have a friend who has been diagnosed (and for good reason) with severe OCD. Believe me, if you actually had OCD, your life would be much different.

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Sophomore year I spent about five hours on campus with the zipper of my pants down. I think I check it every 2-3 minutes now. People must think I have the world's itchiest balls.:doah:

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i always have to have something in my hand to fiddle with, if i don't i can't think. now that i have a cell phone, i don't pick up random things and fiddle with them, i play tetris (level 20 with a score of 200,000 :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: )
    i also always find myself clicking the mouse button for no reason when im on the computer, i don't know why.

that sounds like me, but with things that i do. it has to be perfect unless i spend way too much time on it and can't get it any better. then if my dad is helping me or im helping him, i usually get into a fight with him because it isn't the way i would do it. and he gets angry with me when every i say that it should be done "like this" and redo it for him. there are somethings that i can't do and others that he does better than me, those don't bother me.

that sounds like me too, details...details...details, need i say more?

im a work-a-holic, i may not be the first one to be on a job, but am deffinetly the last to leave untill the job is done right.
    emotion is for sissies :hack:

after reading that page, that sounds almost exactly like me, it explains alot, i guess. except the neatness part, the house, the garage, my truck are all messy. i know where just about everything is and if someone touchs it i get angry because it usually doesn't get put back where it was and i can't find it.

16. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have a lot of symmetry based complulsive behaviors, but it's mostly because of my artistic nature

Oh, and the ol' check the chamber seven times thing

Oh, and the water prayer everytime I want a drink

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had to review the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders in school. it was funny, but sad, that my classmates turned almost every page and said "I have that, and that, and that.....". Don't worry about itunless it becomes a problem and interferes with your life.

I am very demanding and check everything half a dozen times because things should be right- drives everyone around me crazy. After many years of serious contemplation I have self diagnosed as an a$$hole who likes things to be done a certain (read: 'right') way. :D

18. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Not very well, rarely for more than 6 hours. It takes for ever to get tired enough to sleep. Sometimes I take Tylenol PM or other prescription drugs I have left over from past injuries to help me get to sleep. If I sleep just a couple hours and get woke up, it's over - there is no "getting back to sleep" once I'm woke.

I was thinking maybe I am semi-OCD, but it seems that many of us have strange little things we do. I'm just normal like everyone else, I guess.

I was thinking about good emotions, like never cheering out loud if my team wins... or when GraveDigger always beat BigFoot...

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: That's hilarious... itchy balls!

X2. I am going to accept this as the final answer.