Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I on the right track? PAINT ADVICE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AzzKicker, Oct 12, 2002.

1. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm painting my truck Marine Corp Green. A littler darker than olive drab. I'm getting it at www.surplusjeep.com

4 places have rust spots on my truck and all of those are ROT, meaning you can stick a screw driver through. The area is roughly the size of say 1-2 square inches. Very small. The areas are: Left and Right Cab corners(outer, inner is fine) and the front part of the fender L&R(under side marker, very bottom)

What I plan to do for the front fenders is just cut the part off!! [​IMG] Anyway my bumper I plan to put will need them to be cut a little anyway. As for the cab corners I have no idea what to do there. [​IMG]

What I had planed for the cabcorners was lots of POR-15 and fiber glass material. I HAVE NO MONEY to get a welder to put panels. Hell I 'm so cheap what I wanted to spread tons of JBWELD over it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Now thats the rust. I need you alls advice on what to do with that.

Now as for the PAINTING:

I'm going to sand truck down. I dont think I need to go to bare metal in most parts . But around cab corners and fenders I may want to. Just to be safe.

So here are teh steps I plan to take and tell me if I'm doing it right.

1. remove the trimming to my satisfaction
    2. Sand truck down to a smooth finish.
    3. Take care of rust with OSPHO or POR-15(now can this stuff go over whole truck, or will it be too heavey?) Should I just use the POR-15 where rust is heavy. Really only rust I have is the ones in the pic + their oposite sides.
    4. Primer(what do you recommend for primer?)
    5. Paint truck

I've painted a truck before, but the one I did had zero rust. So I just had sand,primer,paint.

This truck has small rust spots here and there that arent really bad and may just be surface, but I'd like to do it right so rust doesnt spread in teh locations of the pics i posted.

Sorry if this confuses you all. To sum it up:

TELL ME HOW TO TAKE CARE OF CAB CORNERS.

Tell me step by step how to prep truck for paint. I'm not looking for professional, just rust free or prevented.

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

3. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif c'mon, someone has to have ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

This is what I would do. Take all the rusty spots and grind/sandblast off as much rust as you can. Then apply the POR 15 only to the areas that you have a rust problem. POR15 doesn't stick all that well to paint. Actually it sticks fine, it's just that the original paint isn't as good as the POR. You can spray POR15 after thinning it. Buy a crappy gun for this if you go that route. As far as the rust holes go, if there is no way you can you can weld patches in{ if there is any possible to do it-do it. If there ain't go ahead and use fiberglass mat{not cloth} and use the POR15 as the resin. It is more flexiable than epoxy. As far as primer- I would recommend DP-90. It's a 2 part epoxy primer{tough as heck, you don't really even have to paint over it}. Once you prime it with DP-90, you have something like 4 hours in which to lay your color down. If you let it dry too long you can scuff it down and paint. It ain't easy to scuff though.

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

One of my cab corners was completely gone and I built up a new one out of fiberglass. Its about 4 layers thick. I built it up one layer at a time with fiberglass cloth and resin. I know most people would stray away from this and just weld on new cab corners, but I don't have the equipment (mig welder) or experience to do it, even though I've heard its not that hard to do. I do have some experience with fiberglass, so I just used it. It has roll-on bedliner over the fiberglass, inside and out, to strengthen it and because I was already putting the bedliner on my interior and rocker panels. I don't know if you want to go this route because it isn't the most ideal way to repair it. But you can't tell that its fiberglass unless you look from uderneath the truck or look very closely from the inside. Hope this helps you out.

Will

6. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot. Good stuff.

Is DP-90 popular at autoshops. Or its dealer specific. Where can i order it or buy it?

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't cut the fenders straight across I would trim them larger instead of square... My future cutting path
    [​IMG]
    Just an idea, good luck