Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I screwed? A/C question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Aug 5, 2003.

I just got this 89 Suburban about 2 weeks ago. The air works, it just doesnt blow cold and not much output. So I take it to the local Chevy dealership to see whats up. I thought the system was still R12 as there was no 134 stickers. I tell this to the dealer. So I call them after about 2.5 hours and find out it was already converted over to 134. Ok , fine thats one less thing. I am told the oriface valve was clogged, the reason for the low output. I am told it will be put back together in a few hours. I think all is well. Nope. I go to get it and get bad news. They could not get the system unclogged. So they stopped before it cost me a bunch of money. The bright side I was only charged for the R134 and the oriface valve. The service guy said maybe a shop that has a back flush machine might be the trick. Any ideas or heard of this process?

Sorry for the long post. Its 107 in Lawton , Oklahoma and my brain is fried.

*Edit*

Went to a different shop this morning and showed them the oriface valve that came out of it. The guy said the chunks on it are plactic pieces from the seals from the compressor. He said it looks like it crapped out and sent the crap into the system clogging it. Said it will need a new compressor, and for warrenty purposes a new dryer,expansion valve, and oriface tube. He said while the system was taken apart he would send some kind of cleaner under pressure through the system to clean the crap out. He said to do it would cost around $700.00, so I left. So I guess I will be doing it myself after I get the system emptied of all the R134.

Mat

1. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

You need to come here were I am, it's only been 116. You said they told you the valve oriface was clogged, but they gave you a new one. Shouldn't that have taken care of the clog. I haven't heard of the backflushing, but it kinda sounds like they are feeding you a bunch of sh!t and are trying to get more $$$.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. No they actually replaced the valve, I have the old one. I think when I called the first time they thought the new valve would fix it, but after it was still blowing the same they tried to unclog it with air. After that didnt work, they stopped. The service guy said the system is clogged somewhere,but without ripping everything apart, there is no telling.

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes It sure sounds like a bunch of bull.The orfice that they are Talking about is the Expansion device (metering)these usally have a screen to prevent plugging.As far as a flushing device they might be talking about cleaning the system after converting from R12 to R134a Freon.The oil in a R12 system is a mineral based oil.The oil in a R134a system is called polyall ester oil which is a syntheic oil.When you do this conversion you must get most all of the mineral oil out.also you must change the O"rings in the system because the ester oil will attack them.it sounds like maybe the oil was not properly changed.check around and find a good service shop that does alot of this work.......Good luck

4. Yeah, thats what they said, about the conversion. Looking at the valve, there looks like oil chunks on it. I dont think the R12 was cleaned out all the way.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya, actually it is the oil that is the concern.The ester oil is also like a solvent and it will brake down the mineral oil left in the system.It is not as bad as it sounds though,A good a/c tech solve this problem for you.Beware ,I have heard alot of horror storys.I have talked to people that have paid over a Grand to have the Conversion done.If they want to sell you a bunch of parts get a secound quote.A lot of places mislead people into changing the Freon when they do not have to.There is no law saying you have to change it,It is not being produced anymore.The only laws on it pertain to Disposial of it.You cannot vent old freon,you must recover it.Hope this helps and good luck...............

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If it is plugged up, the system certainly should be cleaned out. Where the stuff came from should be identified and fixed. It is possible that the new R134 oil broke down the desicant in the accumulator and that it throwing chunks through the system.

If it was mine, here is what I would do (FWIW):
    -check the pressures to make sure the compressor is still doing something.
    -Open the system up and flush the condensor, evaporator, and rubber hoses. You can buy some cans of pressurized solvent to do this or in a pinch, use brake cleaner. When you are done, follow it up with DRY compressed air. This flushing has to clear out the restriction. Whichever piece you can't push solvent through, that's where the plug is. If you can't free it out, you'll have to replace it.
    -Put in a new reciever/dryer. All of the new ones are OK with R134a
    -Replace the O-rings. Kits are cheap and it's a little more insurance.
    -Take the compressor off and drain as much oil out as you can. Work a little of the solvent through it too.
    -Put everything back together.
    -Draw a good vacuum for 30-60 minutes.
    -Check for the pressure creeping back up (leak test)
    -Fill with oil and refrigerant.
    -Hopefully now it will run. Use it until the compressor blows up and then replace the compressor.

If you can get ahold of a vacuum pump, you can do all of this yourself for cheap. If not, take it to a shop for the vacuum and possibly refill.

7. Thanks for the advice. I dont have any way to pull vacuum, so I will probably have the 134 recovered and do everything but that. How much of a PITA is it going to be to pull the evaporator out? I will have to do this all when I get home (Missouri) as I am in OK temporarly (Army stuff). Not looking foward to the 7 hour drive back without a/c.

8. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Its actually not to hard to pull the evaporator. the housing under the hood splits in two to allow easy removal. I think its just 6 bolts, 3 on top, 3 down on the bottom, and it'll just pop right out.
    good luck --Steve--