Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I screwed or what? CHECK IT OUT PLEASE!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wally81k5, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

I am doing a twinstick on my 205....

I got the ball poppet and nut out.

I hammered out the rubbers freeze plug..

Should i just be able to hamer the pin out of the shift rail now? I can't get it to budge.. I know it should be 1/4".. but is there any ones that arent this 205 is from a '73...

Ryan

2. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

Re: Am I screwed or what?

Your going to have to clarify this question
    --
    I am not sure what your trying to take apart..
    --
    Wouldn't hammer on a shift rod in any case, mild steel and it WILL bend...
    --
    If your trying to take the rod out of the case..
    --
    You have to:

Dissassemble the case..top and bottom

Pull the pins from both shift forks, and remove the shafts one at a time
    You can pull the interlock shafts, balls and springs out then

If your just trying to get the pin out of the end of the shift rod for the link...

Pull the clip / cotter pin and you may have to use a small gear puller to push out the pin if it is rusted... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

Okay, 1 down 1 to go...

I have got the shift rail out to do my twinstick, but that shift fork everyone says not to drop.... well i dropped it.

Has anyone done this and found a way to get it where it belongs without pulling the case apart? Will i be able to get to it through the PTO cover?

Ryan

4. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Can't give you a definate answer, I tore my my 205 down when I did this. I would assume the fork rotated and is laying against the idler assembly. you might be able to rotate it back in place through the pto cover, give it a shot. good luck

5. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

So without the shift rail in there, is that shift fork attached to anything?

If it is i can just rotate it like you said, but if it's not then i will have to move it all toghether.

Anyone got an awnser for me??/ Please!

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I don't think theres enough room for the fork to come completely off, the fork end should still be in its groove. someone correct me if I'm wrong. did you take a look inside the pto cover yet?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

This is precisely why I am deathly afraid to take apart a manual trans or a transfer case.

Good luck.

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

That pin is not 1/4" in diameter. It is only like 1/8", maybe you are hammering the shift rail. Try a smaller punch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That pin is not 1/4" in diameter. It is only like 1/8", maybe you are hammering the shift rail. Try a smaller punch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

3/16"

Which shift fork slid on you. If it is the range fork for the rear output, you should be able to see it through the PTO cover if memory serves me, but if it is the Front wheel Range fork you are going to have fun. You won't be able to see pulling the rear cover of the front output either unless you remove the shaft and gears. If the fork is still in the shift collar groove, you should be able to lean the case until it slides/rolls back into position. I don't know if this will work or not as I have not tried it this way (usually disassemble the whole case to inspect for wear).