Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I screwing up or what?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by engine_run, Oct 25, 2000.

1. engine_run

engine_run Registered Member

Okay, here is the deal I just bought a 83 k5 and it started acting up. When you start to go its fine untill about 25 then it does not shift to I think is 2nd or 3rd. It is a 700R4, could that be the clutch discs?? Could the rear end have any thing to do with it?? What do I need to look for to determine if the rear end is in need of work or not? I pulled the cover off the rear and I think one of my spider gear lost a tooth. Kinda new at the game, had a little practice on my 75 International Scout and my dad's 70 Travelall. Not chevy I know but love them all!!

83 K5 and a 75 Scout

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Its your tranny...Its going out.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

3. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

The rear end has nothing to do with it shifting. The tranny would shift if you had no drive shaft. Just check the tranny fluid or better yet try changing the fluid and your filter, then you'll probably need a rebuild if that fails....

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Bingo on the tranny. I too would try the fluid and filter change. Don't go for the "flush" change that they are offering these days. I does nothing for the filter. Get the "drop the pan get fluid all over the place and change the filter" deal. If that doesn't work, check around and find someone who will rebuild it that knows about the weak links in the 700R4 and will do the upgrades.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Actually, the flush is good, since it changes a lot more fluid than a pan drop does. Did you know that a TH700 holds almost 2 gallons of ATF? Plus there is fluid all through the cooling lines and the tranny cooler. When you drop the pan, you usually only need about 3 quarts to bring the level back up, so you are reusing a lot of the old fluid. You are right about the filter, though. It should be changed, too. I think that you should alternate and drop the pan every other time the fluid is changed and do the flush the other half of the time.

Or you can get it really clean like I did a couple months ago and take every single piece out and clean it with brake cleaner, including all of the valve parts. Of course, I was doing a rebuild, so it was maybe just a little more practical in that situation.

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I had a Camaro with the 700r4 and it started doing that. I had the fluid flushed and after that it was fine!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The flush is a good option, but with this newly aquired 83, I would still drop the pan and get an idea of what kind of "spooge" has formed in the bottom of the pan. Previous owner may have never changed the fluid or went years and thousands of miles between changes. I'd clean up the pan, swap the filter and depending on what kind of condition I found in the pan would try the flush next. With it not shifting into 2, could be a pump problem (not building pressure), or valve body dirty, or the filter clogged not allowing the pump to get adequate supply of fresh fluid. One other thing I found was the push in type filters will sometimes fall down against the bottom of the pan and restrict the fluid flow into the filter that will make the tranny act up (4L60E). Or the whole thing could be shot.

8. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I just performed this service on my 85 700r4. after you have inspected the pan for chunks (a thin silver/gray film is normal) replace the filter and gasket (be sure it's seated good) the new filter will push against the bottom of the pan so be sure the pan is completely mated to the tranny, you'll need to tighten the bolts sequentially but don't over tighten them (use a stubby ratchet or just tighten grabbing the head of a larger ratchet) My tranny took every bit of 5 quarts after this service, I started with three and it never touched the dipstick and slipped in all gears, so after a total of 5 it hit the full mark and drives fine. I also had to replace the top and bottom spiders in my carrier (chewed to ribbons) they were 32.50 each from the dealer (mine has the G-80 gov-lock carrier though) your's may be more or less depending on the application. They are a snap to replace, just gotta pull the c-clips and axles, remove the carrier then roll out the old and roll in the new. If you have a gov-lock have a slide hammer handy. You'll need it to pull the governor set. Good luck, I hope this is of some service.

"who dares wins"

9. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Check to see if the tv cable is operating properly. Pull out on it and let it snap back. The Pre 87 valve bodies use an aluminum sleeve and sometimes a small piece of metal will lodge in the alumimum and cause the valve to stick. If the cable is not properly adjusted it will cause the transmission to shift incorrectly or not at all. To adjust push in on the spring connector at the carb and slide the cable toward the rear. Then release the spring and open the throttle to wide open and the cable should adjust itself.

[​IMG]