Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

am I suppose to care how clean my engine compartment is?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by solowookie, Apr 14, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

the only reason I even really try to clean grease of my engine is so I don't get so greasy, and so I can tell where leaks are etc. I never really took the time to clean the compartment (other then degreasing & spraying it down) because I know the first trip down a nice muddy / dusty road is going to be as bad as it was when I pulled it in (and that will take me maybe a week)

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i dont know, but i was always told a clean engine compartment was a sign that a vehicle was fairly well taken care of. it also helps if you take your car to the garage for that "part" that didnt last its warranty time. or also a vehicles resale worth or at trade in time. its just another form of vehicle maintence to try to make everything last as long as possible. if your one of the lucky individuals that has to much money to throw around and this doesnt matter, ok. just my opinion for what its worth, not meaning to stomp on anyones feelings.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have always heard that a clean degreased engine will run a little cooler then a greasy one. In AZ where I am at it might help. Maybe I should take my own advice. Chauk on more thing up on the to do list.

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I keep mine clean for the same reasons, I can find a leak when it starts. Keeping it cooler wasn't one I had heard of, makes sense tho!!

Marty---

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

When I was building PI I used Gloss black on the frame, axles, springs, inner fender wells.....you get the picture. This way its real easy to clean up after playing in the mud, and I can find leaks.

Off topic but an old racers theory is a black block dissipates heat faster. I dont know how true this is, but when you go to the drag strip it seems like most engines are black.

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I say that if it's clean, the person is one who takes care of things , besides ..... why not show off all the hard work that you put in to it ?

7. solowookie

oh don't get me wrong I keep my engines clean, and use a degreaser. most of what I think people are seeing on my firewall that looks like grease is actually tar.

I'm not talking about a great deal of gunk &amp; crap, but that little layer of dust &amp; mud that seems to eternally collect there.

the sides of my frame are covered by the inner fenders so they never really seam to get cleaned. other then that my firewall is clean, and the rest of the parts aren't even on the vehicle (i.e. inner fenders &amp; fenders). the last two parts mentioned here are actually new so they are going to be clean.

8. i clean my engine bay and undercarage more than i clean the sheet metal/forums/images/icons/smile.gif. i'm the guy that has to climb under there so i like to avoid dirt and grime from falling in my face. would love to be able to put my rigs up on a rack and pressure wash em. then paint everything black.

9. solowookie

looks like this is something I'll have to add list of new tricks for a beginning mechanic.

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If you clean it up real nice and gloss coat everything with engine enamel (even clear), it makes washing the dirt off a snap... a light spray and it all falls off. That way you dont have moisture collecting between the dirt and the metal causing corrotion (like high alkaline mud). Its real easy to spot leaks too. I stopped working as a mechanic when I was young mainly because I hated working in other peoples dirty grimy engine compartments. And besides, after all that good work on the motor... I think you deserve a good compartment to show it all off! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I wash mine each time I go to the carwash, I should do it more often, it seems like I only get there once of twice a summer.

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

hmmm.... so I guess I'm the only one who say it ain't that big of deal? I clean mine sometimes before I work on it, but it never is really whicked dirty. Only leak I have is the rear main.

Personally I hate chromed out engine comparments and all that... frick'n cheesy IMO. I personally aren't gonna be a posser sittng around with their hood open polishing my valve covers with turtle wax. Leave that for a show rig. Actually most of my cars are... you wanna know what I got under the hood... race me and find out LOL /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

I wash off mud chunks and wipe up any grease or oil spills that are in there. But other than that I let the dust that gets in there from gravel roads stay.

14. solowookie

yea well if I tried to wipe all the gravel etc. off I'd be cleaning my engine 24/7 - there's a point where all this is practical, and a point where it is just overkill.

other then keeping oil off &amp; think the only reason I'd clean my engine, or under my truck, would be to make it easier to work on. I don't really care what somebody thinks of my rig when I lift the hood.

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm guilty on the dust as well... Unless your a show vehicle, I don't see how anyone could keep their compartment polished... especially in a truck. Mine sure doesn't glow like the picture anymore /forums/images/icons/frown.gif but its oil and grime free! I chose chrome because it helps cast light in dark places, especially when all you have is a flashlight.. but had to get smooth non finned no logo stuff so there wasn't any place to catch oil. I really like the finned and detailed valve covers but they always get crudded up fast! (especially under the breather). I played it smart this time around and got smooth everything.

16. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

mine gets cleaned only when i have to take a part off and fix it. A quick blast with water and then air is all I want, if that. All in all, dirty engines are all I have ever worked on.

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I clean the engine more than I clean the rest of the truck. My truck hasn't really been washed in a year. Engine has been hosed off at least 4 times.
    Looking at the mud splash patterns, I have decided most of the mud that shoots over the engine is coming from the gap between the inner fender and the frame. I'm going to make a splash guard out of a rubber bed mat or old truck inner tube and see how much it cuts down. The gap is really big now that I have new body mounts and a ORD 1 inch body lift.
    Not really worried about the oil pan I just want to try to keep the distributor and Alterantor from getting nailed.