Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I the only one? Cracked frame not at steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rebelk5frk, Mar 4, 2003.

1. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen anyone post about this but both of the blazers I have here (83 and a 78) have a crack on the passenger side engine cross member where it meets the frame. I've worked on 2 others that both had a crack in the same location so it's obviously a pretty common problem area.

My 83 has been welded up at least once before me and the 78 is just a parts truck on it's way out but has never been fixed.

If mine cracks again I'm going to try adding more bracing to prevent it from happening again.

If you haven't checked yours it might be worth looking at. If yours is cracked too have you done anything to correct it? I'm looking for ideas.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My 80 cracked liked that, I welded it and the problem has never returned. The later frames (I think 81 & newer) have a small brace rivoted over the same spot where mine cracked, does your 83 have it?

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I haven't seen anyone post about this but both of the blazers I have here (83 and a 78) have a crack on the passenger side engine cross member where it meets the frame. I've worked on 2 others that both had a crack in the same location so it's obviously a pretty common problem area.

My 83 has been welded up at least once before me and the 78 is just a parts truck on it's way out but has never been fixed.

If mine cracks again I'm going to try adding more bracing to prevent it from happening again.

If you haven't checked yours it might be worth looking at. If yours is cracked too have you done anything to correct it? I'm looking for ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had that on every K5 I had, and I just welded it and it never came back.
    I also had one K5 that had cracks in the frame in six different places starting from the steering box and way back to under the driver.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Mine cracked right there too. I welded it up twice, added an extra crossmember to try to keep the area from moving around. When it cracked again in spite of my bracing, I removed to whole crossmember and replaced it with the one from MOO. I am extremely satisfied.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

nope, my wifes 76 is cracked all to he!! and back. along with the steering box area. i have a lot of work to do to it. i need to find a new cross member. anybody got one?
    on ne if you do.
    grant

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Are you looking for a stock engine crossmember? I have the one that I pulled off of my 74 and replaced it with the MOO one. I also have the diff crossmember that I POR-15'ed the heck out of before I decided to go with the doubler setup from ORD.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Mine did that only on the drivers side. It cracked right at the rear bolt of the engine crossmemeber. I had it welded up, and it hasn't returned yet, but it has only been 6 months.

8. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

YUP....my 81 cracked in the same spot. The factory finally realized this and put in a plate streching over the area and riveted through the xmember in 1985.

9. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, mine did the same thing, only on the drivers side by the front bolt. Just welded in a piece of angle iron in and its been fine since. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif