Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Mar 28, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Am I the only one who lifted his rig and didn't drop his bump stops? Do we really need to? The burb front fenders are going under the plasma cutter this week. How far back should I cut. Show pics please. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I haven't but I only run 4" lift or so. I might after I cut my fenders some more to limit up travel though. Right now the tires stop against the fenders not the bumpstops.

Harley

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I haven't, but I think the tires will hit fender before anythign bad happens

I imagine you can break springs without them on some applications though

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The reason for bumpstops is so that your axle articulation stops before you crush a shock or shear it off the frame.

To see if/how much you need to drop them, do the following:
    1) With your truck parked, measure the distance from where the bumpstop would make contact with the axle.
    2) Now measure the amount of shock rod you have sticking out of the body (basically, how much more travel the shock has).
    3) Subtract value #2 from value #1 and that will tell you how big of a spacer you need to put in there. (You may want to add an inch to this value, just to take into account the rubber bumpstop compressing a bit).

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Come to think of it I don't even have bump stops on mine. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif [walking out to truck] Yep, no bump stops /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah i haven't dropped mine with the 4" lift, and i am still always sittin on them bouncin when i get flexed out a bunch. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifReminds me of my lowrider days. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i haven't dropped my bumpstops either. . .

didn't really know it was necessary. . .

do you need to for a 4" lift or is it mostly for the larger lifts?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have them up front, I think my shocks are setup so I could remove them and the axle hit the frame before they bottomed out though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There is no reason to drop your bump stops anyway unless you're trying to make your springs last forever. Me personally, I want the flex, so I don't care if my springs wear out eventually.

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I havent dropped any of them.

I have 8" springs on the Truck Blazer, and today it was flexing pretty hard when I was trying to crawl up a bank to get up to pull out a stuck Ford Ranger. I definitely had some tire/fender rubbage. My fenders arent trimmed enough for the 40's.

10. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I wonder this myself, I would do it just to make sure my springs don't go past being flat when flexed out, my shocks don't seem to be a problem and the rear I figure wouldn't go any further than the overload leaf. I might put a little block in the front, but the rear is no problem. I'm running 4" lift and no sway bar.

11. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

What's a sway bar? I haven't seen mine. Oh wait yeah I have it's hanging on the wal in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif