Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I the only person who can only Search 9 Weeks back???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Jan 11, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Nope, everyone can only search that far back

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nope, everyone can only search that far back

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that 'Glitch' or a 'Feature' ??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif There are some old posts that had links in them I'd like to find... Are they lost forever??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've heard there are way around the 9 week thing....look at the First Posts post in the non4x4 forum, i think there are ways listed there

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Select the blank position in the drop down list. It seems that the word "Years" is hiding in the code behind it somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

He's right. Click the blank in the drop down!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Well, the thing that is slowing it down is the search, basicly when everyone just has to search are 1 million posts over the last 4 years instead of just the last 9 weeks it is going to bog it down, if you want the site fast then maybe we shouldn't all search all 1 million threads everytime we do a search.
    The next two versions will be more search friendly but until then I had to change the default to 9 weeks, I could make the change so you can't use the year option at all but will leave it up to the Members, just remember when you are searching ask your self do I really need to find something from 4 years ago.

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, the thing that is slowing it down is the search, basicly when everyone just has to search are 1 million posts over the last 4 years instead of just the last 9 weeks it is going to bog it down, if you want the site fast then maybe we shouldn't all search all 1 million threads everytime we do a search.
    The next two versions will be more search friendly but until then I had to change the default to 9 weeks, I could make the change so you can't use the year option at all but will leave it up to the Members, just remember when you are searching ask your self do I really need to find something from 4 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Damned if I Do a Search, Damned if I Don't! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif J/K! I see the issue now. Didn't mean to complain, I just wanted to search for something I knew was older than 9 weeks... Here's what I was looking for as an example...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=866455&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&vc=1

When I posted that, I thought to myself, "I can always just search for this post and get those links again." I think what I could/should have done is copied the links/replies to an email that I could save on my own computer, and then I wouldn't have had to search so far back. I'll do that in the future to save Steve some headaches! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW Steve, I love the improvements to the site, especially the Polls. In fact, Bubba Ray recently dubbed me the very first 'Poll Whore' right here on CK5, an internet first!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look way down in the bottom left corner of the screen. See where it says "Favorite Thread"? Click on that while reading a post that you want to refer to later and a link to the thread will be added to the list on your home page. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

basically common sense related for the most part really /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif performing actions such as opening menus and boards and searches uses site resources/bandwidth, the more you try to open and/or load on a forum/site then the more resources/bandwidth that you will be using up of said site/forum, in which therefore can ptentionally slow down performance of the forum for not only yourself, but others using the forum also

am i wrong... no ?

good luck