Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I too logical?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Jul 24, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Whats up with me? Most human beings are emotional, excitable, etc.

If someone tries to get me to show excitement, be loud or anything, it just doesn't happen. I can't exaggerate, yell out of emotion or let the way I feel change my actions.

What's my deal? Am I too logical?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm the same way. I hardly show any emotion for anything, good or bad. My friends think I am mad when we go somewhere like a demo derby or something because they get excited and yell and I just sit and watch. There are many more examples but I won't bore you with them.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Your horoscope for today says...

No wait, that's Vulcans from Star Trek :d Maybe in the truck world every seven years you get the Con-Ferr itch? :haha:

-- A

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Don;t repress too long, you'll have outbursts and go crazy

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Just keep saying "serenity now" and you'll keep your peace of mind.:D

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm not repressing. It's just that by nature, I don't act in ways that most people do. Like hollering and yelling when excited. I just can't do that even if I try. I feel stupid for even trying. I can smile and say I'm excited, but thats the extent of it.

If I'm mad or upset, I won't do anything that will cause harm or damage because I always think of the long term consequences first, and know that given a few minutes, hours or certain time, I will regret anything done that isn't thought through.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm the same way..

I've always been told by friend's I'm "too serious",and I have been called"Spock" before as well--although I do tend to tear up a lot easier than most guys did(girls called me "sensitive"--other kids called me a "crybaby"!!).

.I dont think I'm any different now,except for the fact I DO blow up and go smash something with a hammer once in a while to blow off some steam--Joe is right--you get ulcers or heart attacks if you dont open the "vent" once in a while!...I blame my "serious" attitude for my being single this late in life..I could be a preist!.. :eek1: :doah: :crazy:

8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

moutain, in general are you happy? i dont mean something like "hay i just found $20.00 bill on the ground". just in general. if you are then who cares what friends think or anyone else for that matter. if you are not happy with yourself or your life then you and only you can change that, if you want to. i would'nt call it logic or being logical that makes you show little or no emotion. not showing emotion is fine, as long as you have a conscious and feel compassion for a person or a living being. i would say if you dont then you have a problem.

some people just dont show an out pouring of emotion like others. i for one am an emotional person that can and will show emotion what ever it maybe at the time. allthough i concider myself logical and somewhat stable and wise for my age. i say somewhat stable cause i have been known to get violent when necessary. now that im older with a son i'm trying not to display that tendency in front of my son. it has allmost gotten me killed more then once.

all i can say is if your not happy do something about for the better or to better yourself. try and be more assertive or less introvertive. good luck.

9. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Same here,,,

Quote:
    "I'm not repressing. It's just that by nature, I don't act in ways that most people do. Like hollering and yelling when excited. I just can't do that even if I try. I feel stupid for even trying. I can smile and say I'm excited, but thats the extent of it.

If I'm mad or upset, I won't do anything that will cause harm or damage because I always think of the long term consequences first, and know that given a few minutes, hours or certain time, I will regret anything done that isn't thought through."

Sometimes people get mad at me when I laugh about a situation were someone gets hurt or dies,,but I'm not laughing about the fact that someone died,,just about the circumstances in which they died or got hurt,,because to me,It seems that most things like that are preventable with some logical thinking,,It's just like when the space shuttles blew up,,everyone gets all emotional,,,But to me, It's like,,those men and women know what could happen everytime they light the fuse and they accept that ,,and when your dealing with a vehicle that advanced ,failures are bound to occur.So why do people get suprised when something catastophic happens. It's just the nature of the beast,and I can't get all emotional about it.I know it's sad and all but it's a risk those people take.
    And to me it's funny to think that a spaceship that blazes thru the atmosphere at 3000 degrees just might have a chance of burning up
    and people get suprised when it does,,that's where my logic kicks in
    and my laughter is mistaken for being be unfeeling and cold.

10. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i think the term we are looking for is intellectualizing, i do it all the time and cant really help it, its my natural reaction
    1. To avoid psychological insight into (an emotional problem) by performing an intellectual analysis.
    2. in[​IMG]tel·lec[​IMG]tu·al·iz[​IMG]er n.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Lets see how you react when you win the lottery. :waytogo: :haha:

12. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I'll go along with that,,

i think the term we are looking for is intellectualizing, i do it all the time and cant really help it, its my natural reaction
    To avoid psychological insight into (an emotional problem) by performing an intellectual analysis.
    intel·lectu·al·izer n.

After giving it much thought,,,this is a logical answer.

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Im the same way man. I get told I look pissed alot, even if I am in a good mood. I can exagerate and joke around, but because I always look pissed, it makes it better, according to my friends anyway. Some pissed off guy crackin jokes is funny apparently.

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I think that you are just comfortable in knowing who you are without trying to please others, in a no B.S. sort of way.

Most of the time I am the same way, I do not open-up to people that I do not know because I feel that there is no reason for it that will benefit any circumstance unless I want it to, or until I feel comfortable.

That is until that first half a beer that I drink.

15. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wow, you sound eerily like me.