Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

am i too old

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappyk5, Sep 11, 2003.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

sometime back about a couple years ago , my ex-wife asked
    me " arent you a little old to be still wrenching and
    wheeling ?". of course you know what i told her. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    and my g/f at the time got me a shirt that said " after all these years i am still playing with cars " /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    well a co-worker made a comment the other day saying that
    he stopped doing things that i am still doing,back when he grew up.

soo , today i turn 38 and i still love wrenching and
    wheeling. how many of you out there are around my age
    get the same heat from certain people ?

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'm not your age, but my neighbor has tinkered with trucks, tractors, and just about everything else he can find and he's a "ripe old" 67. Hell, my grandpa was still wrenching when he died at 77, so you've got a LOOOOOONG way to go before you "grow up!" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read: back when his wife took physical and mental possession of his nutsack and he's been whupped worse than the Raiders at last year's Super Bowl..........

4. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

…right and when a man turns 50, gets the kids out of the house and can finally afford the Corvette he always wanted it’s a midlife crises.

There is no such thing as too old for anything you like doing. I’m 31 (and counting slowly) and what I hear the most is I should be old enough to know better than to throw 10k into a 3k truck. The way I figure they don’t feed me, finance me, or [I love Jeeps] me…they can keep that [I love Jeeps] to them selves. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

At what age are you to old? Hell a guy I worked with just asked me today if I was going to run the mud bog in October to benefit the one local fire co. and he has over 30 years in the plant so you can guess his age. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I don't think there is an age limit for doing what you enjoy doing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I should have bought the shirt at Bloomsburg that said "I still play with trucks". I'm only 18 though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Naw, no where too old. I have a neighbor up the street that has to be in his late 50's, early 60's that still builds hot rods w/ his brother. I think they build 2 or 3 a year. You have got to do this stuff as you get older, because you sure as hell ain't got the cash to do it when you first start out.

John

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    because you sure as hell ain't got the cash to do it when you first start out.

John

[/ QUOTE ] I'll say

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Too old? If you can physically do it you are never too old. My poor father in law is turning 60 and gets this gleam in his eye when he talks about his buddies funning their 30s and 40s hot rods and muscle cars. Blowers, his first experience with mechanical fuel injection. He has a 31 ford duallie that was his fathers with a dump bed that I know he'd love to get out and tinker with. It is in cherry condition and just a little TLC would have it going to car shows. Unfortunatly the man has diabetes pretty bad and his legs hurt him constantly because of poor circulation so he cannot move around well. This prevents him from wrenching.

If you are still physically able and enjoy it keep going because you never know what may come along to prevent you from ever enjoying the pasttime again.

10. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

("my ex-wife asked me " arent you a little old to be still wrenching")/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Your to old when you have to march to someone elses drum beat or look like someone elses model. I'm 60 and still "AZ-Kickin" and I have no intention of stopping because someone else wants to stand in line with the "Moral Majority".
    Get in, sit down and shut up because I have 500 cubic inches up front and were going for a ride. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Happy birthday Mike!!!

Your never to old to play with your toy!

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Do what you like.....

You can always find some "malcontent" that has a better idea for how you should spend your life....they are usually the ones who don't have a clue what to do with their OWN!

Your life contains a finite number of days, and nobody knows ahead of time how many are left....(today, of ALL days, reminds us of this truth!) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahhh, what does "Grow Up" mean?
    Stop liveing and turn into an old grupy codger??
    All you realy have is your life, material this material that, baaaaaa! Live! Live Free!
    Live for yourself and you will live in vain!
    Live for OTHERS and you will Live again!
    Positive Vibrations!!
    Rock ON!

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'll be 36 in November and I still get that /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif from my family about my hobby. They all looked at me like I was nuts when I bought my /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif last year and lifted it. It used to aggrivate me that they didn't give my hobby the same credit as other sports (like my dad, who plays golf once or twice a week for $45~$65 a pop - and they think I blow money! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif). It made it all better though when my mother came to me sometime in my late twenties and told me she was thankful that I was always so absorbed with my trucks instead of running the streets getting in trouble like my step-brother. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Birthday on 9-11, kind of a bummer! Oh well Happy B-day.

Me, I'm 32 and still working & wheeling. At least my family is supportive, my wife knew I was into car & trucks when she met married me and had a quite a few years to back out. The kids don't have a choice! Parrents? Dad still tinkers w/ his 69 Z-28 and has a K5 (its stock though), mom's husband builds and races sprint cars and has a 54 Chevy & an old big block Fairlane (can never remember the year). My Grandfather was wrenching on stuff as a hobby into his 70s. Its your time & money, what would you rather be doing, playing golf?

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    sometime back about a couple years ago , my ex-wife asked
    me " arent you a little old to be still wrenching and
    wheeling ?". of course you know what i told her. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    and my g/f at the time got me a shirt that said " after all these years i am still playing with cars " /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

soo , today i turn 38 and i still love wrenching and
    wheeling. how many of you out there are around my age
    get the same heat from certain people ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only as old as you act. Start calling your x-wife old and see how she likes it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm 37 Well will be in a couple more weeks and most people think I'm 27. Just now starting to be able to afford junk I want. Course we do have Grampa Burb and a Airstream LOL.
    [​IMG]

17. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    He's just jealous that he doesnt have the time, energy or freedom to do what he wants!! You're never to old to pursue hobbies that you enjoy. Back in the 80's when I raced formula ford open wheelers, there was an old guy that also raced and changed his numbers every year to match his age - I remember him being 67 and he was fast as hell. Also designed and built a radical laydown chassis that was super aerodynamic.
    Life is short, do what makes you happy.

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I turned 38 2 weeks ago, and my wheeling and wrenching partner (BigDummy89K5) is a little less than a year older than me and we both still love messing with anything mechanical. Mostly his 89 Blazer and my 81 Jimmy though.

I do get the occasional wierd comment but it's my hobby and it's what I enjoy. I think it keeps me young.

My wife is very supportive which helps a lot. She may not share my enthusiasm for it but she does understand that it's something I really enjoy and that's all that matters.

I could barely afford gas when I was 18, let alone be able to afford modifying stuff in any serious way. I plan to keep doing this sort of thing until I'm either dead or physically incapable of wrenching.

Rene

19. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

hell no your not too old... being only 29 I cant say from personal experience, but I know that every time I go see my folks my dad and I end up wrenching on the Blazer... once he gets started its near impossible to get him to stop, he has been looking for an old rod to build but hasnt been able to find one he likes that hasnt been fawked with.

My grandfather-in-law is in his mid 70's and wrenches every day on his rods. they were getting him such terrible mileage (big block in an impala and chevy II)that he needed a commuter car, so he built himself a little VW bug, body-off restoration.

Old is in the mind or the lack of will and spirit. eventually the body will give out, but until then your not old unless you believe it (I.e. Hugh Hefner - old? only when compared to the playmates he ****s every night)

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm 45,and still trying to make a living wrenching,but my body is telling me to start looking for a new career--my back is junk(I have scoliosis,a double curve in my spine)and my knuckles are mostly scar tissue,and I'm sure all the asbestos I blew off brake shoes and drums is in my lungs doing me no good--my advice is to do it while your young,even if you dont have the money--if you wait you probably wont be any richer--only weaker!!.I'd like to monkey with trucks and mowers and tractors the rest of my life--but somedays it feels that wont be very long I'm so sore,not to mention I cant see woth a dam even with four eyes!It takes a lot out of ya to build a truck--dont know if I could work 40 plus hrs and come home and do it at night too-- /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI dont know how people do it!I only try to fix my own stuff mostly now--unless the money is real good! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif