Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I unreasonable?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 4, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, I ask in a specific context, but feel free to respond if you think I am aside from this context also...

Guy puts up an ad for a truck with "make offer" as the price.
    I politely make an offer, and chaos ensues:

(go all the way to the bottom to see the ad and my initial response, then read from the bottom upward:
    Looking at it abstractly, I think it's kind of amusing.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Funny Ratch.....Funny stuff dood.....:grin: We should all bomb his a$$ now...;)

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Think you handled it pretty well. With more info you could have made a better offer but with the details he gave, $1000 seemed fair. I think the "new motor" 6 years old was his reasoning for the insult. He prob put $3000 in the motor and install but thats his problem. On running vehicles its not a good idea to say make offer. You know what you have to have out of it and that should be stated in the ad. I personally wouldn't give $500 for it if it was in perfect shape. I just sold my 93 S10 ext cab for $1000. It was my daily driver for 11years. Really nice truck. Wish I'd asked a little more but I knew that someone would buy it for that price.

4. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

this will get him

look up a phone number from a local car lot and give it to him and ask him to call you there, so when they first answer the phone and say the lot name he will think he is the smartest guy in the world until he starts asking for someone they never heard of.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Just have them page Jack Meoff

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

:haha: Ratch, I'm laughing only because I can relate... I know you and you are always reasonable. The guy's a bonehead.

Life is full of stuff like this.

Good luck in your search buddy.:thumb:

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Interesting...

His initial ad is uninformative, and his 1st response is formatted in the stereotypical "I'm too lazy to type a few extra letters to form complete recognizable English words" Internet style...
    But his 2nd response seems relatively educated and coherent, yet still relatively uninformative. OK, there's 8 cylinders; what's the engine displacement? EFI? How many gears in the tranny? How many miles on the vehicle?
    And I'm sorry, but a "new engine/clutch/transmission in 98" ain't real impressive in '04, no matter how few miles are on it.

After a few more re-reads, I think the seller is a shyster used-car dealer. The attitude of the 2nd response seems, to me, typical of the "I gotta prove to you why your [reasonable] offer is ludicrously low, and justify my [over-inflated] selling price" used-car salesman.

Let that one go, Ratch. I'm sure your "must replace all my vehicles in January '05" kick will find you a diamond in the rough.:grin: :grin: :grin:

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Ratch, you are an ass. put on your mind reading hat once in a while. [​IMG] [​IMG]

he definitely should've put more details.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ha ha, thanks guys, I figured it was kinda funny...

Oh, I'm in agony now... I saw an ad for a '93 Camaro saturday night:

"Burgundy in/out, ground effects, t-tops, 70k miles, new tires/brakes, great condition; $875"

I called him at 9pm and said "Can I come see this car now?" cause I knew the first person to see it would buy it on the spot (the car books at $4k in rough shape). The guy put me off, and sure enough, the first guy that saw it bought it... I'm still in pain over that one...
    I think that was your "little old lady sells husbands old car that sat in barn for 20 years for $500" and it turns out to be a 57 'vette...

I didn't think I was unreasonable, I was just a little worried that I was coming across as psycho-buyer... :rotfl:

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

But you ARE a psyco buyer. And I've got a little lot here in FL I'll sell ya too - cheap!!

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

that's funny ratch,why do people think their junk is worth so much? i have about $4.500.00 inJR and i'd be lucky to sell it for $1800.00. new crate engine, new six inch susp.,rust free cab,all the rest of the body panels are new.BUT to someone else it's still a POS 79 jimmy.:D