Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Am I way off base here or what???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rasberry, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Can you put a $ on friendships?

k5 link

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think you are off base.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Why don't they take a lesson from PBS. This is how much I need to operate! And I'm sure he'll get it. When its comes to helping the fellow K5er I'm sorry but you can't put a dollar value or a membership on it. But you can put a dollar value on a membership. It's not so much the asking for help, but the denial of help that bothers me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly the great majority here sent the $25 as a donation, Steve added some perks and an orange name in return. I have never denied help over someone's lack of a membership here. If the only reason you're here is to sell your rig then good riddance to you and good luck on eBay. If help is what you desire then stick around. You'll get answers to your questions whether you're blue or orange.

Of course if you don't choose to reciprocate by helping others you may not get as much help as you want when you do have a question. There is no us vs. them here that I know of.

I can't wheel my truck without putting gas in it, so why should I expect to BS here for nothing. Using the place incurrs a cost to Steve and my $25 goes into off setting those costs.

TANSTAAFL

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"...Heinlein

Rene

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I might not be the smartest guy here, but I don't get what you're trying to say regarding "friendship". But here's my take on it:

1. Why do people expect this site to be free? Where else in the world do you get something for free? CK5 is a product, plain and simple. You want it, you buy it. Get the picture?

2. I have NEVER IN MY LIFE not answered someone's question because they were blue- don't insult me by insinuating otherwise. And while we're on the topic, I notice that you've been registered for almost two years and only have 192 posts. It doesn't look to me like you're an All-Star helper yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This is a good site but not the only one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me another K5 site that compares to this one. You won't be able to because such a beast DOES NOT EXIST. This is the best place on the net to find K5/Burb related info. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Another quote from a whiny non-member:

. this site was so much better before there where "members".

[/ QUOTE ]

Without "members", this site would no longer exist. If you guys don't feel like contributing, go away. Nobody is forcing you to visit CK5. If you don't like how this place has evolved, quit coming around.

SHEESH!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

See my reply in the original post, but I think you're off base. I think any blue vs. orange thing is imaginary and thought the same when I was blue.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You have a misconception that the internet is free. It may be $20 a month on your end for you to veiw but On a website that generates 2.5 MILLION hits a month like this one and 11887 registered users, it cost several hundred dollars a month to operate and cover the bandwidth it uses.

This site almost went under for lack of funds to operate and pay for the bandwidth overages it was generating monthly. This site started as a small site for Steve to show off his truck with like minded people with an attached freeware forum. The fourm software sucked and Steve upgraded it out of his pocket. A year later so many people were frequenting this site it was hitting those high hit counts and this hobby site became a full time job to keep up with and was putting him in the poor house. Advertisers are drying up and hard to come by as hard as he tried to get them.

Yes you can put a price on Friendship. It was $25 that some of the oldest members OFFERED to give to Steve so he could afford to keep this place online. It worked and it's still here. He made arrangements with vendors for discounts to show us some appreciation for helping him out to keep this site going.
    The For Sale Forums went to only for paid members to do two things, It lowered the number of hits when a person would come in here an make 1 Post selling stuff or a company would come in here pretending to be a individual seller and making a living off the site and running up it's operating costs. It also helps prevent rip off artists from coming in and scamming folks out of their hard earned cash.

Excuse us that have been on this site since it was a little baby web site with a couple hundred hits per month and about 10 regulars in the forums when we get a little aggrivated and a person coming in with a handfull of posts and half of them are crying about how they can't sell their junk for FREE on CK5.

Without the paid members this site would have been gone almost 2 years ago and you would not have even had the opprotunity to make this post in the first place.

HAVE A NICE DAY /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Friendship shouldn't have anything to do with money.I've been wheelin longer than some of you have been alive,Not knocking anyones age.I hope I can help get younger folks into the sport of offroading,not just lookin' like they do.I know lots of folks who will not go to a organized event because they have to pay signup fee.Have taken several people to Smokey Mtn. Trek/Venture since 88 and only two of them werre willing to pay to go back with their trucks.The SMT/V didn't happen last year because of no pre registers.I don't think it will happen this year again.Haven't been able to get hold of organizers yet.This event went on for 26{?} years.If you went for the whole 10 days it cost around 125$.This got you 2 good dinners,sticker,dash plack,and a lot of good folks to wheel with.It cost 50$ for good meal and show for 2 people now so i don't understand being so cheap.Kinda got off track there.I have friends all over the country I've met wheelin' and look forward to meeting more that way.I haven't been to many other sites,but,I like what I've seen here and think$25 is cheap.I don't have a job and no prospects in this area so I know about the broke thing.Being OVERQUALIFIED is something I've got tired of hearing.{I think it means too old}.Now to get on with it,Look around,ask questions,get answers,mabey make a few friends,then post a link to Ebay where you have to pay just to list it .Try asking questions on that site and see what you get.Their purpose is to make money listing your stuff for sale and they don't care if it's rip off or whatever long as they get their money.Thats not what this site is about.I hope I didn't offend anyone with this ranting.I like wheeling and hope to meet lots of folks here to wheel with all over this country.LIVE LONG,WHEEL HARD,HAVE FUN. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey, buddy, it's time to pull your head out of your a$$!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    [​IMG]
    Kwitcherbitchin' and move on..... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's all about the level of service y'all want; kind of like flashing the Jacksons at some woman of the night.

One Jackson will get ya a little lick and spit, a couple of Jacksons will get ya the 1/4 mile ride and a boatload of Jacksons will get ya the "Space Mountain" all night special.

The same concept works here. If someone rolls in just in need of some tech heck, or a place to hang out, then they don't have to flash the cash. But if they would like to do some swapping of parts, then it makes sence to show some gratitude of monetary value to the host of said transaction. Just kind a like E-bay, but not at the a** raping price.

Furthermore, some of us that have been around (yes, I realize you've been here for awhile also) saw the reality and the host of our second home was in need of some help for maintenance and utilities. There's nothing wrong with paying the man for his services, it's called respect and common courtesy. Yes, we get some perks for our loyalty to the man, but not all of us use those perks.

Yes, the PBS idea has worked other places, and it might work over here, but the membership idea rocks so don't knock it.

9. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

"The For Sale Forums went to only for paid members to do two things, It lowered the number of hits when a person would come in here an make 1 Post selling stuff or a company would come in here pretending to be a individual seller"

So a couple bad seeds ruined it for a guy that just wants to sell his truck to people he has come to know and trust? Its not even me thats trying to sell a truck. I doubt Travis is a dealer or scam artist. Who knows, some "member" could be missing out on the opportunity to buy a nice rig. I remember when this site was a place to hang and swap parts and ideas before it became a business.

10. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

thatK30guy, now thats just gross!

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

It's an attention getter though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. tRustyK5

I remember when this site was a place to hang and swap parts and ideas before it became a business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now it's both...get over it. Still a great place to hang and swap ideas and stuff, but also a business because there is no other way for it to survive.

You don't have to join...

As for Travis, he probably couldn't give his truck away here. Some people have a talent for pissing people off ya know. Most of us here have pretty long memories...

Rene

13. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

do you not know when to shut up?

I would have thought after the 2nd post you'd have gotten the idea.....

If all yer gonna do is p*ss and moan- go do it somewhere else...there are many people here who ARE paying members....many people who arent...it's all the same in the end...either fork up the 25 bucks- or shut up...pretty simple.

Your whining isn't going to get any sympathy, and it certainly isn't going to change the way things work around here....so once again, just shut up!

but if you've heard about the type of chats we have around here, you'd pay the $25 in a heartbeat!

Brandy

14. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

There are a few who think CK5 should be free and that it costs nothing to operate, I think some people feel because it is not a tangable item they can hold in their hands that it just doesn't cost anything to produce, this likely comes from the early days of the web when the revenue came from advertisers, the cost was still there just paid via a different source. Now that the web has been around a while it breaks down to a matter of supply and demand, every day new sites pop up with very few people looking to advertise.
    This really sums it up though: </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    1. Why do people expect this site to be free? Where else in the world do you get something for free? CK5 is a product, plain and simple. You want it, you buy it. Get the picture?

[/ QUOTE ]
    In order for CK5 to grow and allow thousands of people to use it the funds have to come from somewhere, trust me you will see more and more "Membership" models (pay to play) in the future.
    Do I wish the dedicated server here was free, hell yeah, do I wish bandwidth was free, of course, do I wish software was free? Well, this is the way it works, they deserve to get paid for their products that I use to produce this site so it kind of runs down hill.
    Bottom line, CK5 is a product and a Damn nice one, if you think that way to, great get a Membership, if not, don't, I don't have a problem with that, ebay charges for their service not sure why I am not supposed to charge for mine? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    The reason I don't do the donate thing is I would have to beg for money everyday and it would clog up the forums and we would be way off track. To put it another way would you rather beg on the street corner to support your family or would you rather sell a product (gainfull employment) to support your family?
    Can you put a $ on friendships?

[/ QUOTE ]
    To anwser your question, no you can't put a price on friendship, but you can put a price on a Membership, and that price is 25.00. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i'm not paying for friends. I'm paying for the wealth of knowledge. Steve wants $25.00 for memebers, but freloaders get a TON of information too.

Everyone stop and think: How many times has CK5.com saved you $25?

I can think of 3 times in the past week that it saved me from having to take my junk to a mechanic or technican to have it dialed it. And they charge $45-75 per hour. If you can't get $25.00 out of ck5.com, you really need to get your 3 brain cells to work together for a change. Hell, If you are a paying member, I give discounts on parts. A paying member means you are down for the cause and realize that $25.00 a YEAR is well worth the savings you will get by doing it yourself.

I am sure i have offended someone /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif so bring it :flipoff2:

16. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My opinion is this:

Ck5 costs money to operate. These costs are paid for by Steve. Before the membership system was set up, the bills were increasing and Steve was paying for it all out of pocket. Would you do that? Would you pay ALL the bills out of pocket so 15 people you know and 3000 people you don't know can have a great forum?
    After a while, the United Bank of Steve couldn't afford to keep ck5 going AND make a living for himself as in individual. So the choice was to fold ( /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif ) or to try to make ck5 self-supporting.
    Which option would you have preferred? If it was that ck5 fold, then why are you still around?
    -- Mike

17. tRustyK5

I'm offended that " :flipoff2: " doesn't work here... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Damn, ya beat me to it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

some ppl jus dont get it... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif