Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amazed at handling of stock height K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 21, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Last Sunday I was driving a '73 K5 Blazer I have around our snowy field. Theres only about a foot and a half of snow, but thats fairly deep for a stock height Blazer with sagging springs and little 225/75R15 street tires with 40% tread.

I decided to venture out into the unplowed snow. I goofed around in it for half an hour and never got stuck. A couple times I thought I was hung up, but I was able to rock it back and forth and it came out. I even blazed through the untouched snow up the road past our barn that has an uphill grade.

Snow was packed all around the front axle and springs by the time I parked it. I was pleasently surprised at how it did. It does have a 454, but power wasnt really the issue...as I rarely had to get on the gas very hard. It's supposed to have a factory posi-rear...I suppose that helped some.

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Keep it low,Cut the fenders,Make it go.88 GM,SFA,38 swampers only up 6in /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its amazing what you can do in soft snow. when its real cold and dumps many feet, you can actually drive through it when its hood high. I've had it break over the hood like water. Engine heats up though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. mountainexplorer

It was pretty soft snow. Just seemed like it did so much better than the plow truck with studded snows that are taller. I suppose a big heavey utility truck with a 14 bolt and a front axle truss does alot more dragging though. The Blazer went way past where I got the plow truck stuck a few days earlier.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea, belive it or not, that rear posi thing makes alot of differnce, my 87 had that gov loc thing, i rarely had to use 4wd, then that went down the drain, i have to use 4wheel drive more now, of corse that is why i bought on /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. sounds like a sweet blazer by the way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. mountainexplorer

Really, the Blazer is pretty beat up (rust everywhere). I mainly bought it for the motor, and a friend wants to buy the rest and put it back on the road with a 327 or 350.