Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amazing what $54 in parts does to the way she runs!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, May 25, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I can't believe it...we changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc..today, and can NOT believe the difference in how this truck is running..

The plugs were NASTY..some of them were so close that even the smallest gap tool wouldn't slide in....the cap/rotor- well we wont even go there!

I had to have John put the plugs in..me and guessing at tightness are not good...I tell ya, header's suck! There are 3 plugs that are an absolute b*tch to get at..let alone get back in...
    But she's running great, got her inspected, now if I can just keep the stupid headlights from going on and off at intermittent bumps we'd be great!

Brandy

2. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

I here ya clucking. I did a little tune up on mine, put a new kick down cable in, and now I have more power than the rest of that truck could take. It was built very poorly by the previous owner (2" blocks on top of 4" blocks- not even welded), so that 383 was just breaking things and spinning things that it didn't want off of the Blazer, like those blocks.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Check the headlight switch. I had the plug at my switch get a little loose yesterday and I had no headlights at all. Also, check all your body grounds.

4. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my 84.. turned out that the wires slipped out of the headlight connector a little bit. just pop the hood and see if you can push the wires in any further into the connector. Fixed all my headlight problems.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I had to have John put the plugs in..me and guessing at tightness are not good...I tell ya, header's suck!

<hr></blockquote>

Umm, you wanna run that by me one more time?

- Amazing how they run, when they are fireing on all eight - isn't it?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bawahahaha...I think you need a woman Eric!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

check the wires that plug directly in the headlight switch behind the dash...mine kept getting loose and would go on and off as they pleased...

Later

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Hay, I just quoted it./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i rtv'd mine on the the light. my connectors just got tired of staying on i guess.
    it is easy enough to change out rtv to.
    grant

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

running it by again-.....

John had to put the plugs in- I couldn't figure out how tight to turn them,,,my luck would have cracked one or two.... and header's suck ....when it's time to change plugs..

is that clearer? LOL-- and yes you are correct, when all systems are go- the truck runs incredible. The ol 305 isn't as tired as I thought it was....amazing..

as for the headlights, played with it a bit..its the plug that goes into the headlight itself..if you push it all the way on- no light, but backing it off a bit, it comes on....I put that light bulb stuff on it...and I will check the wires themselves, going into the plug...just sucks when your driving along, and they start winking..good thing is they don't go out at the same time,...

Brandy

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Look at the connector carefully and you can see how to take the terminals out of it. Take them out and bend them so they grip on better. It's kind of weird, every vehicle I've ever had has had headlight terminals that you couldn't hardly get on or off without breaking the headlight.

Now those stupid P194 holders for side marker lights those things suck. I'm always squishing them together with a pair of pliers.