Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

amazing what you do for a pet,

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4xcrazy, Mar 6, 2007.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well, had this cat for about 5 years now, Saturday morning, she looked as if she tried to throw up, made a squaking noise, then was kind of like panting,,,
    Thought nothing of it, just kept an eye on her for awhile....

Later that afternoon, she did it again, but the breathing looked like it was more troubling for her, and it kept up. So we ran her to the emergency vet ($$$$) and they took her in, found some infection and sores in the back of her throat, llike something cut her, and just got infected, they started taking care of that.
    Kept her there all day, and was coming up with all kinds of totals on prices of what they needed to do to TRY to figure out what was wrong with her,,,,,extremely frustrated, because they don't do payment plans :mad:
    i said frack it,,,just do it, do whatever it takes...

So the initial costs were like $400, gave them the amount and they started the blood work and so on, as the night went on, she was progressivly getting worse, they gave us the option of course of putting her down, because the costs were going to go up even more now with treatment and they STILL didn't know what exactly was wrong with her....

Getting REALLY mad now, because they weren't finding anything "wrong" with her through the tests they were doing, she goes into a slight seizure a couple of times, again, they throw out the idea of killing my cat/s (get to this in a minute), i said NO, told them again, DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO!

Anyhoo, they started in on her, didn't hear from them for awhile, then we get a call at 9pm on Sunday night (heart sank) they said they believe they found what was wrong with her, unbelievable lousy stinkin vitamins, minerals and electrolites,,,,,her system was dangerously low on the levels needed.

Turns out this sore/infection was preventing her from eating the normal amounts of food needed to keep the body electrolites and whatnot levels at a normal rate, add on top of that,,,she's pregnant, and just about to pop any day now, and we figured this is what was doing it, she essentially had no energy to just LIVE, her body was basically trying to shut down..

So they threw her on an I.V. drip with these nutrients all night long, and they said when they came in, in the morning and checked on her, she was up and around, cleaning herself again, breathing right,,,getting better...

They kept her one more night just to tack on another nights charge and to observe her to make sure everything wwas ok...

We have her home now, and this damn cat just cost up a rebuilt 454 motor, or a down payment on a nice travel trailer,,, or two months rent here for us :crazy: :doah: :eek1: :D

anyways, yeah, they naturally raped us for a grand total of $1637.00 for everything....

But our baby is home now, alive and ready any day to give us FOUR MORE of the little bastards :p:

sorry this turned out so long, but i see there are alot of animal people on here, and i just thought i'd do what alot on here do, and post up an interesting, very stressful weekend i had :crazy:

100_0364.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

wow! pricery!

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yes, very, like i said,,,now when i look at her, i see 454 cubic inches sittin there, with very little power of course, and about to spit out a bunch on little Hondas. :doah: :haha:

4. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

id do the same for my dog most likely

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Glad that you cat pulled through. We don't ask about vet bills, it usually "Fix her please". It would be almost like loosing a child.

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Yeah, it's amazing how they get ya for pet bills. Our dog had a bladder infection a month or so ago and wasn't drinking water.

First the vet socked me for a 50some odd dollar bill for each of the urinalisys tests. Yep, she's dehydrated, give her some antibiotics.

Don't feel so dumb for paying $19 a month for her pet insurance now. Between this episode and a couple other minor unexpected vet visits it's about payed for itself now.

Oh yeah...the cause for the dehydration?
    She seems to be picky about clean water and the bowl.
    So one "$50 water bowl that plugs into the wall and constantly keeps the water filtered and flowing" later she drinks enough water that her pee isn't nuke orange.

"Hi, my name is Lucy and I'm spoiled but I love you."

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  7. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I was raised on a farm and we always had cats,my papaw(who died in 95) gave my wife who I was dating at the time a kitten from the barn.She took it in and kept it.Well years after we got married it got out of the house and got hit by a car,punctured it's lung and severe road rash.Came home to a rear dead cat and a very upset wife.$600 later it was home and doing better.Then came the time it got in a fight with another cat and had a flap on skin hanging from it's eye.Oh yeah it had three cancerous sisk removed also.She had had the cat for 13 years and then the sisk came back and was not getting around good at all,so we put it down.Sad time around the house,but it wasnt long after that the son came along.We had over 2K in a barnyard cat.

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I've dumped more money into my dogs than I can remember.. I always say, "well, I've spent 500 bucks ( or whatever ) on dumber stuff", ( and I have) and hand the cashier my plastic..

I want to look into that pet insurance.. anyone ever buy a policy?

glad to hear kitty is OK..

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes more info about pet insurance. I had to put one of my cats down, cause I didn't have enough money to do the blood work, although she was really sick I don't think they could have done anything.

BTW glad the cat made it. I garuntee if I had enough money and something was wrong with my cats they would get whatever they needed

10. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

We got ours through Banfield, the "inhouse" vet at most PetSmarts. I'm not sure if it's true insurance as it doesn't cover other vets but as long as there's a Banfield/Petsmart around we get greatly discounted coverage.

Even at $19 per month it's paid for itself with our couple of visits.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same here. I could buy another truck for the $$ I have into 2 labs. And I would do it all again.

12. cbbr

Good to hear that she is doing better and still making you smile.

13. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Glad she made it, but... I've had the same cat for about 14 years, he's just smart enough to know that if something happens to him that's gonna cost more then a couple of hundred bucks, he's getting the big sleep, lol. The only vet visit he's had was to get him fixed.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yikes... i wub my dogs but I wouldn't pay that much for either one of them. :( they are getting older... and no amount of $$$$ will keep them alive forever. For a cat? yikes... I think I'd have a $50 limit.

j

15. cbbr

Yes, but you are cheaper than the rest of us.:D

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

true.... true. Its not just about pets though. If I get old and have to be attached to a machine at the hospital to stay alive, I'd tell 'em to turn 'em off. Quality of life is already in the toilet, and why spend all the retirement $$$ to keep going...and leave my wife with no $? No sir!

j

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Glad you saved your kitty!..

I'm happy your cat is doing better!..those big eyes!..she's going to be a momma!!..I have a few outdoor cats that look very much like yours..

While I love my cats,I cannot afford to bring them to a vet,and neither could my mother,who is living on a fixed SSI income (and is a cheap S.O.B. anyway,and would delight in having them put down,anything that makes my life more miserable makes her happy--)..I'd hate to face the choice of saving one if it got sick,or having to put it down..I'd rather they euthenize ME ,than have to "kill" my cat because I could not afford to pay the vets bill..

I think it's terrible the vetenarians are charging such outrageous prices for what they do..it's making more and more of us have to kill our pets,rather than save them..I couldn't even pay 20 bucks a month for "insurance"..another ripoff,that pads the pockets of the insurance company,and I can bet they dont pay all the bills without question,if you ever use it..glad your cat will be OK!..:crazy:

18. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Glad she is better now. You are a bigger man than I am I guess. I couldnt bear to spend that kind of cash on a cat.

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

geez,brother!!!i'm glad your furry friend is fine.and yea, we can spend some real loot on them.:eek1: my freind spent $1400.00 on surgery to get a corn cob removed..Rocko quit eating and drinking,so he thought he was dying.after $300.00 in exrays, he found out it was the cobb.one of my friends moms spent $1000.00 on her ferret.we love our pets.:D

20. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Glad she's doing fine. :laugh:

She looks a lot like my one-eyed cat. Wife found her in the parking lot (thus the name Lottie) at about 4 weeks old maybe 6. In the first year we had to have her fixed, de-clawed, and the eye cleaned out and sewn shut. Now she is almost 4 yrs and on a special diet for sensitive stomachs ($$$ for food) because she will drink too much water and throw up a lot. All this for a cat my wife swore would not be coming home for long, just until somebody will adopt her.:haha: