Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AMC Eagle info?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geargrinder, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I'm new to posting outside of "the Garage" :crazy: I'm just thinking that an AMC Eagle might be fun to play with and wondered if any one knows where I could get a little info on 'em.
    I'm thinking that I might trade my curent trail('81 F150) rig for one, would I be crazy to do so? :ears:

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

other than finding parts for it, i say go for it. i remember some old articles in one of the 4wd rags that a guy put an amc 360 in it with a 231 or something and a dana 44 rear. had like a 2 in lift and some 29's.

it was so hard to find parts, i remember a cust junking one because the inner door handles were broken, and the windows wouldnt roll down, etc etc.

ryan

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Try this website- http://amceaglenest.com/

AMC's are getting harder to find, but you would be surprised how many parts are interchangable with other manufactuers products. Living in Kenosha they are still pretty common sights, but they are getting harder and harder to find. It isn't uncommon to se low mileage eagle in the paper. Most of my friends had an AMC of some sort at one time or another in highschool, one such friend had a lifted eagle wagon with a tweaked 258 and 4 speed. They use IFs front ends so he had custom coils made and had to fab up some parts to do it but he managed to fit 31" BFG mt's on it. I keep telling myself i will pick up a nice Eagle wagon limited with the leather interior and power options. If you Have any specific questions let me know, i'm pretty well versed in them, and if i cant answer i know who to go to.

Cheers,
    rugger

Some of the down sides they tend to have alot of vacum lines and it can be a PIA to track down leaks, and they get pretty ****ty mileage

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I had an Eagle wagon. Weel acually it was my wifes car. But we Both loved it. It rode us all over Nevada, and the Wild West. Both on and off road. It was no serious 4x4 but it did get around ok off road. Even tho it had no low range It had pretty good ground clearance.& That big ol 258 had a lot of tourqe
    It was a great family hauler. Good ride and gas milage. Its too bad AMC got bought out by dodge. Dodge really FKd up AMC. (look what they did to Heeps :mad: ) AMC built some great automobiles and 4x4s
    The AMC Eagle was a true Station Wagon. It was the last of a great line of cars.
    Now all you have is stupid SUVs and ugly cars like the[​IMG] Magnum.

5. ShitownK5er

ShitownK5er 1/2 ton status

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Actually, chrysler brought AMC/ Jeep back from the abyss....before that Renault had controling share of them. Remember the alliance or the encore? Either way the quality control is much better now than it had been in the late 80's and 90's . If everyone thought so highly of AMC cars then they would have still been in buisness today. They had some great cars and Ideas but ****ty marketing, so so designs that are only popular now becuase of the novelty of owning one.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

haha... i owned a Renault alliance... great motor, tinkertoy frontend and axles tho...

and my mom had an AMC Spirit that i used to borrow back in the day.. think our family was the only one that ever bought one of those.. fun car, but the gearbox kept blowing up in it..

8. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, the Eaglesnest looks like a good start for me :waytogo:

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

10. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I owned a two door eagle sedan in high school. (very rare, I've only ever seen one other 2 door) It was crazy, you could seat three in the front and two in the back to make it a 5 passenger car :screwy: I loved it, even took it on the trails a couple times..got it stuck pretty bad too :rolleyes: . Like has been said...good luck finding parts for one though. The biggest thing for me is I bought the car for 1g, and spent about $500 a month to keep it running, so by the time I sold it my bank account was completely drained, and I was trying to sell a car no one really wanted.

Personally if it was 1985 or something I'de say go for it, but seeing as how it's now 2005, get something else.

11. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Lots of 2 door eagles made, they came in 3 different body styles; concord, spirit, and the gremlin body styles. The rare model was the 2 door "germlin" eagle. i think they only made them for a few years.

To add further AMC lore, being such a small car company in a small town everyone knew some one that worked at AMC. It wasn't uncommon for a guy to special order a car and have it "hooked" up by his buddies as it went down the line. Gremlins with 401's and hurst 4 speeds, stripped matadors with a no option window sticker to have everything AMC offered. So who knows whats really out there... I'm sure this happened at all car manufactures to some extent.

AMC's always run, they just never run right.