Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AMD motherboard opinions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Oct 3, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well I have an AMD Athlon XP and my motherbaord is out of date for my chip. It doesn't recognize my chip and won't clock to tis full potential. Its just a fact of the baord, bios upgrade doesn't help. So I need a new board. I want to get something compatible with the newer 400FSB so I can upgrade to a Barton in the not too distant future. Anyone have opinions on what the best newer board would be to go with? Doom 3 is taxing to say the least sometimes and sure a video card upgrade would be nice but I want to use the potential of the one I have first. Just preordered Half Life 2 and don't want lag situations like I've dealt with in Doom.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run a msi board in mine and have never had any troubles. i use them in all the pc's i build. i also like the fact that they have nvidia chips built in to work with the new 8x agp nvidia graphics cards /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif here is a link to there site http://www.msicomputer.com/index2.asp

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I have an Asus motherboard in mine. I don't remember the model number, but my computer is a couple years old. I've never had a problem out of it during the two, or so, years that I've had this computer.

Kris

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I want the best of everything , but end up getting last years stuff everytime I upgrade to save money . I have as my main computer a ECS K7VTA3 right now , it runs my 2500+ Barton Core no problems . It is a 333 mhz board and runs 400 mhz memory , is capable of overclocking , and is under 75 bucks now .

I am not a fan of buying something that will be obsolete in a year at full price . May as well buy it in a year on sale and be faSt enough for me . Right now I am watching the race on my PC , writing this , and downloading stuff all at the same time

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have an MSI with 400FSB

I think last time I check it would take up to the 3000 athalon

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Get yourself a nforce2 board. Really, any of them will do. I got one with native SATA support because I run a raptor HD. If you do not run SATA you can find one for $50 easy.

While you're at it, get a mobile athlon XP 2500+ and some DDR400. OC to 3.2 G (12 x 200) out of the box and don't look back.

That's what I did, and my budget box rocks.

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would say that when it comes to price, quality, and options MSI is a good board. Asuz is a slightly higher quality board, but at a little higher price to go with it. I would also recommend getting a board that has RAID. setting up two hard drives to run "RAID 0" can greatly increase the performance of your computer.

9. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Asus board in mine. My older computer that the wife uses has a MSI. I am very pleased with the asus. Good balance between on board features and good pricing. There customer support is very good as well.

10. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT BUY MSI!!!!

With that said. I run a small computer shop and we use Gigabyte and I am now running Asus mainboards and have not had any problems. So those are the two I would buy.

11. RingMaster4x4

Yeah get one with Raid I love mine. (I just upgraded) I have a Asus with SATA Raid dual 36.2GB raptor 10,000RPM hard drives, matched 1 GB 400FBS RAM, and a AMD64 3200+ CPU.

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT BUY MSI!!!!

With that said. I run a small computer shop and we use Gigabyte and I am now running Asus mainboards and have not had any problems. So those are the two I would buy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    care to elaborate on why not to buy msi? i have never had a problem with any of the ones i use. the only thing i have ever had go bad on one of my msi products is my msi video card the fan went out and they boxed up a new one and shipped it to me no questions asked

13. RingMaster4x4

Sure we tried MSI in some of our computers we built about 20 of them with MSI mainboards. we had about 5 boards that were no good right out of the box and then 10 out of the 15 that work box did not last a year before the board quite. before we tried MSI we had been building with gigabyte for about 5 year and never had any problems. Now I have heard some people say they have not had any problems but I have heard alot say they have had the problem I had. IMHO I think they just lack quality control.

14. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I agree with you on the bad quality control. I have a MSI in my older computer that I bought almost 2 years ago. Never had a problem with it. Then I bought one for the new computer, out of the box it woundn't work. Acted like there was no ram in it. Honestly I'm not totally sure if it was the board or the ram, but I ended up returning them both and getting the asus board and faster ram for less money.

15. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Can't go wrong with ASUS, ECI is pretty good also though.

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm running the Abit AN7 w/ uGuru, very nice, very over-clockable.. I usually go with ASUS, but after doing my homework the AN7 was the board of choice for me.

17. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess different people have different experiences, but I have a Gigabyte board in the computer I am typing this post, and I went through five bad Gigabyte boards before I got a good one.

Then I had a problem with the RAID drivers. The RAID drivers came on a CD, and the only way you can install them on Windows 2000 PRO is with a floppy. The instructions said to copy the file called "RAID Driver" to a floppy, but the file was 1.8 Gigabytes, which is too big for a floppy; so I tried to e-mail Gigabyte's tech support, but they would not reply back to me. I actually had to call Gigabyte's main office in Taiwan to get any tech support. Gigabyte finally got me to a tech support in Malaysia, but none of them could speak English.

I have also gotten bad boards from both MSI, and ECS.