Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

American Hot Rod, Chip Foss and Charlie

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eric M., Jul 16, 2005.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

So, I finally watched the episode where Charlie quites from way back February (gotta love TiVo!). I was trying to figure out the relationship between Boyd and Charlie and Boyd and Chip.

Does anyone know exactly what happened between Boyd and Chip?

Does anyone know the whole story about Boyd and Charlie? Boyd aluded to having let Charlie live with him for 2 years. He has been away from his family for 5 years. What the heck is that all about?

I've see Chip in one show while channel surfing. He seems like a hack. He was making a custom tube bumper for a truck and his method of bending the tube was to continually beat it on the cement. Does he build hot rods like Boyd? Is his work any good?

After watching many episodes of American Hot Rod, I doubt I'd ever comission them to build me anything. Everything is a rush, you know there had got to be quite a few mistakes when they are always under the gun like they are or on their 7th day and 12th hour of work. I'd love to take a closer look at one of their cars and see what flaws I could spot.

Eric M.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

HUh? Chip is no hack. I've seen his work in person and on TV, and its all awesome work. Maybe he did something stupid on that Truck but did it look good in the end? Afterall it wasn't a rockcrawler, it was just a flashy show off truck. He builds more custom muscle cars more then rods but rods too.

I'd never let Boyd's guys touch anything of mine. Wouldn't buy rims from them either, they have different standards of run out compared to the other top wheel makers, namely they allow MORE run out then others do.

I think Chip worked for Boyd at one point, and left for his own company(you know to do good for himself and not for Boyd) so Boyd hates him now. Then Charlie left to go work for Chip(again to do well for himself, not even a money issue, family issue) and Boyd hates him for that now too. Mainly, Boyd seems to be a big time egomaniac and the whole world revolves around him and his business, everyone else is evil. Thats what I get anyway.

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

That's what I was feeling too, I was just wondering if there was more to the story. The way he treated Charlie was terrible. I've had guys I really depend on leave my business, it sucks, but no sense in taking it out on them. I thought Charlie handled it all very well. For Boyd to not even shake his hand ... that was about the most pathetic thing I'd ever seen ... and Boyd knew it would be televised!

I should probably edit my statement about Chip. I only saw that one episode, other than that, I've never seen any of his work. My bad, sorry Chip!

I wonder if that show is actually hurting Boyds Hot Rod business? I can't imagine anyone comissioning him to build anything after watching a season.

Eric M.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Chip worked for Boyd for around 8 years and was the presidant of Boyd's hot rod company. He left Boyd to start his own company. I don't know anything about Charlie, but it appeared as if he was tired of working 22 hours a day for Boyd.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Watch Overhaulin' if you want too see Chips designs.

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I agree... I would never get Boyd to build anything. Like you said, there has to be shortcuts if they are always rushed. I would never be able to work for the man. He is an a$$. We call them 'Yes Men' in my work. Yes sir we can do that, yes sir right away sir, no problem sir etc etc.
    My question is this: WTF is up with Boyds wife and Charlie? She was pretty freakin broken up over it. If my wife pulled that when a friend of mine left the area, Id be wondering.... :)

Mike

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

LOL! I was wondering the same thing! I want the dirt on this. Let's get the 3 of them on the Springer Show.

Eric M.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Charlie's wife lives somewhere in the midwest(near Chip's shop) and he was living in Cali working 20 hour days for a guy who didn't appreciate him. Thats why he left.

9. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Why did he ever take a deal like that? What prompted Charlie to move away from his family for work? Why didn't his family move with him?

There's gotta be more to this story, this just doesn't make sense?

Eric M.

10. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anybody notice that all of the cars they build on the shows are for "friends" of his? He starts out...."A riend of mine called me today......"

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats what I've been told reading a bunch of these threads. I'd guess it was the oppurtunity to work for THE Boyd Coddington, you know? I'd move for something like that, even if I didn't want to(which I'd rather stay in PA and do want to get into hot rods or similar fab work). I wouldn't work for Boyd Coddington, but a few years ago, I'm sure I'd have jumped at a chance like that. There is probably something like a mother and extended family she didn't want to leave, and he figured he could visit often, but Boyd worked him like a dog instead and made it just not happen. I remember an episode or two where Charlie mentioned he wanted to be home with his wife, but instead he had to finish a car for Boyd.

Boyd kept escalating things on him. He had him stay after a few nights, then it seemed, every project Charlie had to be there till 3am painting something. It wasn't that he had to, it was just that Boyd new how to make him. He'd say something like "well you are going to have to paint that, just do it in the morning", and he knew Charlie to be a perfectionist who couldn't let his work be, so Charlie would stay the night. Eh, whatever.

Seems silly that we are discussing someones life almost like we know them, never actually meeting them. God reality TV infects you sometimes.

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

and bodywork is the LAST thing you wanna rush... its always advisable to allow various coatings to dry as thoroughly as possible...

when i worked in the resto shop we rarely had deadlines. you don't rush quality...

all that being said, the show goes over the top with the deadline bull.. i highly doubt its as bad as they make it seem...

and yeah, Boyd and Dwayne are ghey....

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah, I forget what magazine it was, but a writer said he's spent a lot of time in the Boyd shop and its no where near like they make it look on TV, I don't know, some of that stuff is just too much bull, even if its not as tight of a deadline as it seems.

14. cbbr

Foose Design Inc
    17811 Sampson Lane
    Huntington Beach CA. 92647

It makes even less sense if Charlie's wife is in the midwest. I always thought that she was in Cali, just never got to see him?

15. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Ever notice how most of the cars built on that show are in the background? I guess they still need some fine tuning after the show is over.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Hmm, then I have no idea :D

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

IIRC...............................

Charlie and Boyd are from the same area up in Idaho and Charlie's dad knew Boyd somehow................

18. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Now we're getting somewhere.

That falls in line with some of the stuff Boyd was saying. Boyd almost made it sound like he pulled Charlie out of the gutter and saved him from a fate worse than death - took him in and taught him how to build Hot Rods. There must've been something serious going on in Charlies life to pull him away from his family. I thought he was divorced. Maybe it was drugs or something??

Eric M.

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I dont blame charlie for quitting. He was tired of working all day and all night, every freaking cars has some ridicouls deadline. Chip seems like a much cooler guy, builds some insane stuff, and knows how to run a business. Boyd, HA that company is a joke, all he builds are stupid hot rods, never listens to others input, takes his workers for granted, im surprised so many others didnt quit. Good for charlie.

20. cbbr

Yep - that helps the rest make sense.