Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

American Steel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quetzal_SJ, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

I thought I would post here since it will see more traffic. I am on a budget and am going to go with a cheep brand for a four inch lift but before I call around does anyone know what typ of steel is used on the different springs on the marrket?

Trailmaster
    Blackdimand
    RoughCountry

...and any other low cost lift.

I would like it to be american steel.

Thanks Lico

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I read on a reputable Scout II page that the Rough Country kits use mexican steel. A friend told me his Superlift springs used Canadian steel.

Skyjacker uses US steel to my knowledge. I am not sure about the others. They're good springs, definately worth the money.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

what's pro-comp?

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

4. Steel is steel, no matter what country it is made in. There are different types of steel based on the chemical composition. I could go into the long explanation but it is technical and rather boring. Your best bet is to go to a company with a good reputation, and if you can find out, a good quality system. Most places use material that meets their specifications, but the material comes from the lowest bidder.

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God

5. Quetzal_SJ

Here is some info I was looking for. I found it on a Scout web site.

SUSPENSION LIFTS

*SKYJACKER SOFTRIDE 4" SUSPENSION LIFT The most up to date spring lift on the market.Building the springs with features such as taperd leafs, teflon friction pads and quality U.S.A. steel these lift springs come in 2 and 4 inch lifts. The springs also come with urethane spring bushings, most other spring kits don't. Teamed with Skyjacker's Hydo line of shocks make one of the most pliant lifts made for the Scout. Skyjacker sells a drop a pitman arm for the Scouts Rated for lifts up to 4 inches the arm has an actual drop of 2 inches.The drop pitman arm is highly recommended to restore proper steering geometry and to prevent bump steer.This kit is suited for those who need axle articulation for rock crawlling or those looking for an a stock ride.

TRAILMASTER 4 " SUSPENSION LIFT A great lift. Still one of the better lifts on the market. Using a 10 year old design the 4" lift springs are very tough. A stiff ride by todays standard the 5 leaf springs will last a long time. Also made from U.S. steel and stress relilieved to prevent sagging the springs come with rubber bushings and all of the necessary bolts and hardware to install the springs.Urethane spring bushings can be purchased for this kit I recommend The Invader SS shocks with the system. The Soft shocks help comlement the stiff springs for a better ride.This lift may be best suited for those needing a higher spring rate for uses such as towing,hauling,plowing or severe 4wheeling. A drop pitman arm is highly recommended

RANCHO 2.5" SUSPENSION LIFT The Rancho lift is also an older lift. The spring kit includes taperd leafs and friction pads for a smoother ride. The springs are made from U.S steel and come with rubber bushings.Urethane bushings can be purchased for the springs. the Shock options with this kit are many. RS 5000, RS9000,RS1000,RS 6000. The 2.5 lift is popular with recreational 4wheelers and rockcrawlers. A drop pitman arm is recommended but not required.

TRIANGLE SPRINGS I have had no personal experience with their lifts but I hear very good things about their springs These springs come with urethane bushings You can find out more info by calling Giddum' Up Scout. They sell the Triangle lifts.

ROUGH COUNTRY now Black diamond Rough Country and Tuff Country springs are made from inferior Mexican steel. These suspension kits are sold for $150 to $200 less than other kits. They are not quality springs and start to sag about one year after installation.I can't recommend these suspension lifts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Time to be patriototic, steel might be steel, but US Steel is the way to go. Buy american

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Lico,

If you want "cheap"....I can set you up with my 4" rear lift blocks.....and my 4" Rough Country springs up front. You'll have to wait about 3 weeks though.....

You'll still need to locate a dropped pitman arm, and longer brake lines....and some "square" U-Bolts for the rear, since I only have the plates for the "threads down" installation.

You want some 35" Wheels and Tires too.....? I'll have those available not long after the suspension stuff..... [​IMG] I'm doing the 8-Lug stuff....so my existing 6-Lug Alcoas are not going to be very useful.

You know how to reach me......and how to find my house! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

8. Quetzal_SJ

Cool Thanks Greg. Just let me know when.

Lico