Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

American

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Jun 26, 2002.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Those who don't know, the 9th Circuit appeals court declared for the first time Wednesday that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools is unconstitutional because of the words "under God" inserted by Congress in 1954. It has to make those of you in the western states proud of your politicians. WTFO ! I simply cannot believe it. Write every politician you know on this one. Absolutely unreal. It is not as if we are making our children recite it, but that it can't be recited. Now while I hate Flag burning as much as the rest of them, I support freedom of speech and if our high court is to determine that the freedom covers burning the flag then so be. We as American's have always been about protecting the one over the many, but the line must be drawn here. I am not a holy roller, nor encourage any one type of religion, but the justice who made this ruling has lost his/her mind. Sorry to rant, but after going to work today at 0500 and getting home at 2230 all in the name of service to my country, just set me off.

Steve, Grim, please don't pull this post, as I know garage is well read. Probably will post it on main forum too. Give it two days will ya? Thanks in advance.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

<font color="red"> </font color>

2. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Yeah I just heard about it connie chung interviewed the guy on cnn tonight he said he did it for his daughter then he went on to say that he started the lawsuit in the first place to get in god we trust of our currnecy. Bt then he decided to go after the pledge. He didnt do it for his daughter he did it for himself. We have to STOP THIS KIND of S9IT. Im getting sick and tired of our AMERICAN TRADITIONS being takne away by people who want to make a name for themselves in the history books.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO SAY YOU GOOO!! i coundt beileve it when my dad came home and told me this my jaw droped to thew floor im like WTF IS THIS BULL SH*T /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Bryan

4. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I had no idea this was going on. I was just thinking this morning that it would be cool if people recited the pledge before work everday becuase after highschool, its like you dont say it anymore and we should continue it after high school. I really hope they dont take in God we trust of money. Every relgion I can think of believs in a God except for evolutionists. I hardly think it ofends anyone.
    Ike

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Ya know, after 9/11, you'd think the jacka$$es would have considered this part and parcel of the US of A. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Figures........

6. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

If you read the story in various papers around the country, the guy lives near Sacramento, Elk Grove, south of Sac. he's a medical doctor And a lawyer. Just goes to show you that no matter how much education one has, they still can have NO common sense! This guy also professes to be an atheist. Fine and dandy, after all it is America but I think the majority still rules in the U.S.A. Doesn't it? Can't be that many atheists around!?!? Next up someone will want to bitch about pecker size and get the courts to make some sort of a ruling on that! I hope his clients and patients go elsewhere. This guy is wired wrong!

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I agree with the decision.
    for starters why would little kids who have no idea what they are pledging be taught to recite that.
    We had that same thing when I was in school, Lord's prayer and sing God Save the Queen, every morning.
    it was wrong and I am glad it is gone.

8. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

it is a freedom of speach, im relgious but i see there point of view, there trying to keep state and church sep. by saying that its forcing someone to say under God which would be against there freedom of speach . this country was founded on God and thats y i beleive it Was a great country and has been so lucky since the revolution.Since the country has been straying from God the country has also been on a decline and getting worse and worse loosing all of it morals. I dont not agree with them taking it out but they have banned the bible and teaching creation from it so i see them doing this easly. thats my thought, im jsut a dumb 19 yr old tho

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

mj, I will admit I know next to nothing about the way your country was founded. However, I have read alot of what the founders of our country wrote while it was being formed. Their intent was clearly not to banish God from all goverment &amp; public places, but rather to allow tolerance of of various teachings. The founders were religous men and to try to overlook the fact that they believed God was to be a guiding force in the creation and evoultion of this country is foolish. I am not intending to flame you but the intent of the founders on this issue is well documented.

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Wrong forum for this.

Ken H.

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Well, technically I feel it's correct....but I think it's unnessesary.

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I guess we should do away with our paper currency ("in god we trust") and oaths for trials, too (swear on the bible). The constitution says separation of church and state. It doesn't say elimination of church by the state. Or did I read it all wrong?

13. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

If you study what the constitutional scholars say, you will see that this decision is ridiculous (as well as going against what the vast majority of Americans feel is right!) I'll make this short, but what the original constitutional authors meant was that there be no STATE SPONSORED CHURCHES, thus their writings about the separation of church and state! Back in the colonial days, there were several states with "state churches" if you will - they actually collected taxes from the citizens to sponsor the church. This is exactly what the writers of the constitution wanted to avoid! I mean, that is common sense - no free people would want the State to tell them what religion or beliefs to believe in! However, the writers DID NOT intend for there to be NO CHURCHES or even that the nation would not rely on the intervening of a higher power for help! The liberal media and many atheists have twisted the truth for so long, that people now accept the notion of "separation of church and state" to mean that there can be no connection between the state and religion, which is in total disrespect to the Original Signer's intention! We, as Americans, need to tell our leaders how we feel about this! It's happening everyday in classrooms around teh country, this "revisionist" teaching of History and such...the facts are being distorted by liberal writers to serve their own interests...sad but true. Anyways, just thought I'd put in my .02 here...even if it is the wrog forum - this is pretty important to most Americans!

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

oaths for trials is already optional