Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ammo can locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by creampuff90k5, Jun 20, 2002.

1. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

The last time I was at the pistol range, I picked up two huge 40mm ammo cans for storage in the blazer. Since I run topless at least half of the year, I would love to find some way to lock the lids. Not that I keep anything of tremendous value inside (tools, jumper cables, etc...), but I don't want mischievous teenagers rummaging through them either. Anybody have an idea that won't look totally ghetto??

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

got on of those on my blaze. when i installed it i put silicon around the mounting bolts, so it's air tight. sometimes when the temps are right, the thing creates a vacumm as the day cools and i can't get the darn thing open. gotta really pull and kick it to open it.
    anyhow, i don't think you'd like to carry a vacumm pump around. but i've seen some with pad locks on them, not to nice...

ARQ.

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

www.cheaperthandirt.com sells ammo can locks. I don't know if they have them for the 40 cal cans or not, though.

4. creampuff90k5

Do you have a more specific URL for these locks? I've been searching on their site for the last ten minutes with no luck...

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Do you have the tall cans with cam over locks on both ends? The ones I have has slots on those so I welded hasps on both sides and can put a master lock on each. Also since mine aren't bolted down I use a cable to make sure they don't walk off. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. creampuff90k5

Hmmm. That hasp idea between the slots sounds pretty good. The only pain in the ass will be using four locks, since I have two boxes.

BTW, I mounted mine to the floor using one of those "hood pin" kits like you see on muscle cars. When I want to take them out for more bed space, I just pull the hairpin clip off (accesible only from inside the box) and lift 'em up over the pins. Works pretty well.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just weld gate hinges on one side and the hasp on the other side. That way you only have to use 1 lock and have a hinged lid.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Since you've already drilled holes in them and they're not water/ air tight anymore, then weld the hasp on one side and put a carige botl on the other side. Use a accorn nut on the inside so you won't cut your self. Or put 2 hasps on and olny unlock one side the other side will act as a hinge when you open it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have 2 big ammo cans in the back of my rig for storage, they are lockable. Just added a u-bolt on each side... in those little slots... and then I run a pad lock through it after the lid clamps down. Works great for me. As far as 4 locks being a hassle... its no biggie, when I wheel I pop all 4 off b4 I hit the trail.. if I need in, I just pop 'em open and go. Pics on webshots show how I did it...

J