Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ammo for My Shot Gun?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1-ton, May 20, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a Maverick Security Model 88 shotgun, which holds 8-shots. It has a 3” chamber, non-ported barrel, and can handle 2-3/4” or 3” loads. My question is am I able to shoot rifled slugs with this gun without damaging it? I am not that knowledgeable about shotgun ammunition. I have several types of ammo for my shotgun, and I was wondering which of these (or combination there of) would you recommend?

List of shotgun ammo I have:

Power-Shok 12 GA. 2-3/4” 1oz. max velocity 1610 FPS. Rifled Slug

Super-X 12 GA. 2-3/4” 1 oz. Hollow Point Rifled Slug

Vital-Shok 12 GA. 00-Buckshot 3” Magnum/Copper Plated 1210 FPS.

[​IMG]

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Adjustable/Interchangeable choke or no?

Rifled non-sabot slugs are best fired through an open or cylinder choke, I would not recommend firing them through a modified or full choke. Sabot slugs are only for rifled barrels.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It depends on what you want to do. .......... If you what to make a big impression when you walk into a bar. Just load up with #4 buck and cut loose..I guarentee there wont be a man left standing. If you want to leave big holes in things then use a slug. Not near as efffititive as buck shot at close range but slugs are leagal most everywhere around the country.
    If you have to clear a room its important to be on the right side of the law.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Heh... slugs not nearly as effective? Have you seen the exit wound from a slug on a deer before? A hollow point slug will tear some **** up.

5. 1-ton

This is all the info Maverick Firearms provides. Like I said, I am not real knowledgable about shotgun ammo. What is rifled non-sabot slugs? This gun is mostly used for home protection, but I do go skeet shooting with it from time to time, even though it is not exactly a skeet shooting gun.
    • Maverick® 88 barrels are compatible with Mossberg® 500® model barrels within gauge and capacity.
    • All Maverick® models include a cross-bolt safety in front of the trigger for speed and convenience
    • All Maverick® 88 choke tubes are fully interchangeable with Mossberg® Accu-Choke™ tubes.
    • 88 model barrels are equipped with 3" chambers and handle factory 2¾" and 3" loads.
    • All Maverick barrels and choke tubes are capable of firing lead, steel or other non-toxic loads.
    • All models feature a blued metal finish and durable black synthetic stock and forearm.
    • All models feature dual extractors and twin action slide bars for positive, non-binding extraction and ejection.
    • Free Cablelock included with each model.
    • All Maverick® models include a One-Year Limited Warranty.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Mavericks appear to be Mossbergs, if you can get better info from Mossberg, it's probably valid, since the barrels interchange.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1277799

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

Mossberg "defense" 500's and 590's are all cylinde rbore, and I've shot sabot slugs (copper solids) through it. Not accurate, but they worked.

As explained in the definitions of cylinder bore, any 12ga round should be fine in your gun if it is indeed "un-choked", but it's not going to be accurate.

The barrel should be stamped with the choke information.

Check out the ammo makers sites, they likely have what kind of choke to use with each.

Typical home defense ranges, I'd use buckshot over slugs any day of the week, and practice.

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Sabot slugs should only be used with a rifled barrel.

Slugs are accurate up to 100 yards easily, however many people will be quick to label a slug "inaccurate" because the standard bead sight on a shotgun is not conducive to firing a slug.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sabot slugs are only *accurate* in rifled bores. (Edit: and terminal performance will likely be worse)

No reason you can't shoot one in a smoothbore, it's just a waste. IMO rifled slug guns are awesome tools, any slug in a smoothbore is pretty pathetic comparatively.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  9. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

sorry to hijack, but Jagged, have you shot any slugs out of your nova yet?? If so which choke did you use? Ive been looking at rifled chokes for my nova but they cost alot.

10. 1-ton

Thanks for the info. Also, thanks to dyeager535 for the links, Those had all the info I needed. My shotgun is a "Smooth Bore" also known as "Cylinder Bore" with no choking, so the best slug ammo for it appears to be "Foster" also known as "Rifled Slug". All of my 12 GA. slug ammo is in the "Rifled Slug" catagory (not sabot), so it will be safe to shoot. Thanks.

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I've got the Briley rifled choke for mine, ran about $30 at the Gander Mountain. I haven't shot any slugs yet, still letting my shoulder heal from last weekend.