Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ammo stockpile....FMJ or HP?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fabjunkie, Jan 4, 2007.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Which do you stockpile? Is it gonna make that much of a difference when SHTF?

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Depends on the prices for me. I have at least 1000 rounds of FMJ .45 and 9mm at all times, and keep extra FMJ for range use and good (high priced) JHP for self defense ammo (couple hundred for each).

To me it's just not feasible to keep 1000's of rounds of good JHP @ $15-$20/box for .45 and not much less on the 9MM.

For the 7.62X39 I am finding that you can get relatively cheap HP that is not much or not at all more expensive than FMJ. I have about 1000 on hand right now but plan on having 2K set aside and then a range supply.

I have about 400-500 in 12 ga slug and buck but god help me if I ever need to shoot a 12 ga that much. couple hundred field loads for range use should last a while too.

I have thousands of rounds of .22 as well but it's cheap and everywhere and relatively useless as a true SD roound.

I plan on buying a couple of mil. surplus rifle just because the ammo's cheap and it may get me to lay off of the more expensive .25-06 and 7MMmag at the range. The 7.62X54 and the 8MM is real low right now, typically a little under $100/1000 and the guns only cost about what a case does!

If we have a true SHTF situation I don't think it matters much whether you have FMJ or HP since just by being armed in the first place you'd be in the minority and probably less of a target initially, besides; the US military does just fine with FMJ. On the flip side, a known stockpile could make you a more attractive target!

Nevermind, I only have about 30 rounds of ammo after all.:D

3. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If SHTF, I don't think it matters. Personally, I like my bullets to stay together upon impact, so I'd say FMJ. Plus, it's generally cheaper which is a plus if your planning on keeping a lot in inventory.

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I keep alot of everything. I also keep a small supply of 'MagSafe' ammo. That's what I mostly pack in my firearm when I carry.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I keep a couple boxes of "self defense" rounds around for both our pistols , I switched to Gold Dots ( used to have Hydra Shok ) based on a local cops input here , and Bubba Rays input in Moab . Its lower in grain than my practice ammo . I hope I don't have to use it .

I have hundreds of rounds of WWB 165 and 185 grain on hand as well . Its my "cheap" practice ammo . Never had a failure , and since I shoot it all the time , I know its going to go where I point it . Thats what I would really need for SHTF , ammo I shoot all the time thats cheap . Bricks of 100 are always on sale at Wally World .

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I keep a pile of FMJ to shoot at the range. The mags with my home defense pistol are all loaded with +p HP's.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends on what you are shooting... rifle bullets, FMJ is coolio... for hand gun stuff, I greatly prefer HPs if human beings are the intended target. Only real exception is if big game (back up gun) is the target, then for handguns FMJ would be better!

j

8. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I'm not telling how much, but when the SHTF, I'll be prepared.

I tell you this much, I have at least 1000 rounds loaded in mags already.

:eek1:

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I try to get soft point or HP stuff for my AK and until I bother to polish the feedramp on the .45 I can only really use FMJ in it.

A while back I shot at a steel plate with my AK and was stunned when the FMJ rounds went STRAIGHT THROUGH IT. It seemed to be mild steel but I wouldn't think 7.62x39mm would go straight through over 1/2" of steel...

10. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I need to do this on my SKS cause HP catch all the time on it.

You'll shoot your eye out kid! :haha:

11. pauly383

Call me on Channel 10 . All the guys here can bug out to the same area , until the dust settles :D

12. VikingWarlord

VikingWarlord 1/2 ton status

The only problem with preloaded mags, is if stored that way for years it can affect the reliability of the springs. And they aren't as "springy" anymore. Some people never have probs and some do. Just my .02 :p:

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If the shtf, I have all my Credit cards lined up and ready to go.

j/k :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

14. cbbr

Cash man. You need cash. Unless you are shopping at Burger King.:D

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Did I miss the Armagedon memo???:haha: :haha: :haha: I have guns, I have bullets nuff said...:doah:

16. cbbr

You just stay under that table with your milk and you will be fine.

17. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

18. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Screw cash, I stockpile Gold and Sliver in addition to thousands of rounds of ammunition.

19. cbbr

Gold schmold. Stockpile smokes. Like in prison. Better than gold when the big one hits. No one is going to need a new necklace, but you find me a 3 pack a day smoker who can't find smokes, and I'll show you a gold mine.

20. pauly383

All the money in the world is just paper . If it really gets down to it , the whole world could revert back to trading precious metals .

There were no malls and mini marts , etc thousands of years ago , hell even a few hundred years ago . But there was a value assigned to precious metal coins .

Which I need to buy some of while the prices are still where they are .