Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ammo....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by crazy427, Dec 11, 2004.

1. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

where can i get bulk 9mm ammo from? I Just got my 1st Hand gun. S&W 5903 9mm semi-auto. I Know i can get it online for cheaper than 11 bucks for a box of 50 rounds at the sport shop.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Go to Walmart. They have it for $11 for 100rds. It is pretty decent ammo too, winchester.

Harley

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

4. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Find a gun show and bring your dolly to haul it to your truck!

Good deals!

Or search on line, Cheaper than Dirt, Cabela's, etc.

Good Luck

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

6. Hossbaby50

Wolf Ammo :shame:

If you would actually shoot wolf ammo in anything that cost more then $100 or doesn't start with the letters AK or SKS then you are a nut. That ammo is PURE CRAP. Laquer finished steel case with CRAP power. The laquer can melt off in your chamber and gunk up your gun. The power that they use is also crap and is VERY dirty.

I would rather not shoot my guns then shoot Wolf ammo threw them. That is the same for any of that crap Chinese or Eastern block ammo they are importing these days.

Harley

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They don't coat wolf ammo in laquer anymore. At least get your facts straight before trash talk a product.

The .45 is $120/1000. I can save enough money in 3-4 months to buy another gun if I want to.

The Georgia arms ammo is great, I've shot 1000 rounds of it myself in my Sig.

Great, the powder they use is dirty as hell and smells funny. Who cares? I clean my guns every time I fire them, they are NEVER dirty unless I'm on my way back from a match or the range.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Check your local gun shop. I buy boxes of 100 rounds for $5.19 . They are reloads, but they shot just fine. Just have too clean the gun a little more often.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't buy reloaded ammo at a gun shop. The only reason I will fire reloaded georgia arms ammo is that it is made in a huge factory with great quality control. I wouldn't shoot someone else's handloads in my guns.

10. Hossbaby50

That shows you how often I shoot the stuff. I don't even look at Wolf ammo anymore because of the practices they used making there stuff. Are they using brass cases now or are they using steel coated in something else now?

I still wouldn't shoot the stuff. The first and last time I shot the stuff was in my 9mm at an indoor range. I watched chunks of burning powder flying downrange. I am pretty good about cleaning my guns but I would still rather shoot good ammo in a good gun.

11. Hossbaby50

So you will shoot some of the worst ammo on the planet made in Russian or whereever with who knows what quality controls and you wouldn't shoot a reload from a gun store. :confused:

Harley

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I put over 2,000 rounds downrange in November. I have to do something to make sure I don't spend an arm and a leg on ammo.

"WOLF Performance Ammunition is the only ammunition company that provides a 100% Performance Guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied WOLF will refund your money on the unused portion of the ammunition, including any freight charges."

I will not shoot cheap gun store reloads because the chances of a double charge are much higher than with factory loaded ammo. I don't care what kind of ammo it is as long as it is factory loaded.

Wolf ammo is still steel case, but the steel is so soft that it is very similar to brass, to any nonsense complaining about the steel case and extractors is moot. Regardless an extractor is about $10.....so I don't care anyway.

Wolf ammo is now coated with a polymer compound to prevent rust instead of the old laquer.

I only buy brass case ammo now just so I can save up the brass for when I get my reloading press. I've got TONS of brass, every time I go to the range I bring back more brass than I even shoot.

It's not like I have a safe full of hi points...every gun I have is of pretty decent quality. I don't mind having to clean it as long as the ammo is not corrosive.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

There is nothing wrong with the reloads from my local gun shop. Been buying it for years. Never had a problem with it yet. I normally buy 6 to 10 boxes of 100 rounds a week. If you shoot as much as I do, it save a hell of a lot of $$$.

14. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Cool Thanks guys.... i found 100 rounds for 12 dollars at Dicks sporting goods. I would try walmart but the 3 of them around me dont carry guns or ammo just knives and paint ball stuff. I tried contactin the person from wolf ammo she gave me someprices but when i tried order she wouldnt tell me her adress or how she wanted to be paid.I Was looking for somthing in the 1000 to 2000 round range. I will try out some of these sights and see what i can comeup with.

Thanks Again , Joe

15. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I can't remember where I got them, but I just bought 1000 rounds of 9mm. Company name is Olympic. They sell the shells that only are good once, meaning you can't reload them, but I got the case for $79 and they shoot great.

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I use to be the same way. Only problems I ever had with my HK was with wolf ammo. Had a problem with the aluminum cases "puffing out" at the midsection and wedging into the chamber (I'm still not totally sure if my buddy didn't maybe order the 9x18 instead of the 9x19 size:( ). Not sure what the deal was but I had 2 rounds of 9mm do that in one mag of ammo (actually I only shot maybe 6 rounds out of the mag before I gave it to a friend, he fired 1000+ rounds through his CZ75b without a problem).

Anyhow, back to the reason I posted. If you go to any large training camp with some of the best shooters in the world... they use wolf ammo because its cheap priced and in the last year or two the quality has improved greatly.
    I disliked Wolf ammo about as bad as you and have heard from several that it's better and actually fairly accurate. I know Tim is ordering some because of a buddy that told him about the ammo. This same friend happens to be an NRA instuctor and has probley put over 6000 rounds of wolf ammo down range in the .45 cal size in several different pistols and has reported no problems in the 6 months to a year that he's been using it. Once Tim orders some 9mm they are going to prove me wrong, then I might order as well.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think I"m going to order 9mm ammo from that lady because after shipping it's no cheaper than Walmart.

I will be ordering some .45 though, and probably some .40, if she ever has any in stock.

18. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I am the person JJ mentioned that has shot 6k+ rounds of wolf. Wolf used to be lauqer coated but hasnt been in over a year, I to was sceptical after hearing all the horror stories on the net about it. The steal cases arent as hard as the extractor in any gun, and the nickel surface on some premium ammo would in threory case more wear. It is no dirtier than Winchester white box, and is more accurate than I am...and I pull down some respectable groups with it. I run it mostly in 1911's one of which has 3000 rounds through it with nothing more than a few drops of oil. No malfunctions what so ever. Practice is the key to proficiancy, and at a cost that you can't reload for. I can spend almost 2X more on the range than buying other ammo that doesnt deliver any better preformance.

Even if it did cause excessive wear on a pistol, i can replace the extractor in any gun many times over for the cost savings of just 1000 rounds of ammo.

As far as un-burnt powder. No issues out of a 5" barrel, in anything shorter even loadings from the big manufacturers will give you unburnt powder. Sweep the area forward of the firing point in any indoor range you will see what im talking about.

You can identify the new wolf cases by the bluish color of the cases. And as a side note, during WWII the US loaded 45acp ammo in steal cases due to the brass shortage... Give it a try, it will perform on a level that any other practice ammo will.

19. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

How can i actually get a hold of the wolf ammo....

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Don't ever take what some certified this that and the other told you to shoot to heart. I had more ammo troubles from the stuff that one of the best LE firearms training programs supplies it's students.

I've seen guys buy bulk reloads and have problems and I've seen guys buy bulk reloads and everything is fine.

With that being said, I only shoot spitwads. Less QA problems, it's cheaper and more hilarity can ensue.................