Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

amp cuts out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FatBoyBlazer, Jan 9, 2002.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

when ever i've got my heater on and my stereo up loud, my amp cuts out when i put on my head lights!!! i've installed a CAP(1farad) and it still does it........any suggestions.....its an MTX 4424 amp

hola

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Get a more powerfull alternator. The capacitor is just a band-aid

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

If you have the stock alt then I to would have it beefed up at your local rebuilders or get a new 100 amp or better.one ?? does it cut out at idle or at any time like driving, you can also get a 1 wire alt hook up these charge ot any speed I do belive.The cap is just for sudden bursts of needed power otherwise the power comes from the alt/battery ( iI think) just my 2 cents later-mike

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

sorry but forgot your amp will also cut out if there isnt 12v (like lights and heater making alt work over time and the volts could get below the req.12v)

5. mike_d

mike_d Registered Member

First thing i would do is check to make sure all of your connections are good
    and maybe the amp is getting to hot and the thermal circut breaker is tripping
    or maybe you have the gain turned up to high on the amp

oh s**t I think I ran over a Honda.

84 k5 blazer 6" lift 35" baja claws

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would assume that you are running some fairly large cable for your positive and negative connections to the amp. The greater the distance from the battery to your amp, the greater the cable size needs to be to handle the current flow. Your amp should also be hooked up directly to the battery and not from any other source. Just my $.02

7. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

also take your remote turn on wire and run if off a relay from the battery. i had that same problem and for weeks i did everything i could to fix it til i finally realized it was the remote lead dropping voltage. it would only do it in the rain which had me puzzled. turned out to only be a coincidence.

8. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

..First ..Check all connections...Make sure your amp is grounded to BARE metal..NO PAINT!!..Make sure you are using the same gauge wire for power and ground!!!( and the wire is the right gauge for your current draw)..Is the amp main power wire direct to the battery !(with a fuse or breaker no more than 18" away)!..Is you Capacitor close to your amp?..Is it grounded the same place as your amp??...Check your Alt. belt!!..Is it loose??..Try to spin the fan (on the ALT.) if it turns and the engine does not turn ..It is loose!! (do this with the engine off..LOL...!!)..If all is good...You need a better Alternator..Dual batts will just ask more from your Alt!!.....Just my .02...Later..~CLINT~..

76 Blazer roller-rockered 7" lift locked 3/4 ton axles 35" BFG's custom oxidized paint with rust accents!!!.Dont follow me...YOU WONT MAKE IT!!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by clintsk5 on 01/10/02 10:55 AM.</FONT></P>

9. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i've got 4 gauge to a fuse under the hood........through the fire wall......to the cap....3inchs...to another fuse block(dual) 8 gauge about 2 feet of wire to the amps ones a 400 watt depth charge and the other is an MTX 4244 60x4 amp.....it s a 1Farad cap too......its all in my 91' so it should have a stock 110 amp alternator right...????? all the fuses are 60 amp.
    all the speaker wire is 14 gauge....any more questions???

hola

10. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Its prolly a bad ground

350FI/700r4/NP208c/10b's ORD 4" Shackle Flip/ORD Disconnects <font color=red>NJK5</font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club</a>