Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amp going into Protect mode... too hot??

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Capman2k, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

The last couple days when listening to Static X or Rob Zombie my subs will just quit working... I assume they'd do it with other CD's too, but Static X has been in my CD player almost non-stop since early August /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...

Anyway... Today I got tired of the subs shutting off and then coming back a couple minutes later and pulled over to watch what happens... I noticed the amp kept going into protect mode every 5 minutes or so (after about 15-20 minutes of use)... I reached behind my box to pull it out and it burned my fingers... I pulled it up and put it on top of my box and continued home...

Could the amp be getting too hot? If so, what kind of steps can I take to keep it cool (it fits perfectly behind the box and the back seat of my Exploder)??? I'm not too much of a handy-man, so I can't really do any of the fancy-pants mounting and fabricating a box in the side of the truck with fans and crap... umm... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like you're tryin' to run too low of a ohm load. Try running the Subs in stereo mode instead of bridged. Yeah, it won't hit as hard, but the amp won't keep shutin' down either. Next step is spend some big bucks on something like the MMATS class D amp or a Soundstream , I really like the Taranula, badass amp for the street beats !! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

wow they got some WEIRD lookin amps... the one with the face stickin out is the shiznit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Yeah... I'll try the stereo idea tomorrow... One of these days I'll get a fancy pants amp... I need to invest in some better speakers soon though, I listen to Static X at work sometimes too (yeah, they kick ass) and I noticed that without the bass, it sounds a lot different... need something to bring out those little guitar chords that get drowned out or something by all the bass /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

my brother and I have this unofficial rivalry going on to see who can get the best system... I've definately got him in the bass department although he won't admit it... about 2 hours of his visits to Cheyenne involve comparing his bass to mine and making slight adjustments to get every bit of power he can out of it... It's really not a big deal who has the best system... but I need to upgrade anyway, and more I can be better than him the more I can watch him blow all his money, that he could be spoiling my beautiful neice with, on speakers and subs and amps and crap... He's got one of those $14 an hour jobs, so if he really wanted to he's got enough spare cash that he could make a killer system in that baby 99 blazer of his in a couple months and I'll still be here saving for speakers /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    and I'll still be here saving for speakers

[/ QUOTE ] I hear that. Sucks being broke all the time !!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you touch the amp and it burns your hand, then YES.....it's too hot. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Paul's got some valid comments about ohms loading, re-wiring the subs is free, so that's always an easy first step.

6. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your internal fan for the amp is broken. It's fairly common as far as amps go. I'de check to see if your fan is working, if thats not it have your batteries tested. If they are going bad, the amp goes into safety mode because it's not getting the right amount of power.