Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

amp ideas #2

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Big Red, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i was just thinking of running dual alpine amps (one per sub) i also want to run 1/2 Farad caps on each (i hate the dimming light bs) now my question is how exactly do i wire in the caps? plus, if i run caps, don't i hafto run distribution blocks? or just run seperate wires to each (they are going to be on opposite sides of the truck) thxs guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

you need to run caps for the whole system not just for each amp thats more work then there needs to be. you just run the hot "on" wire from your dash radio to the on switch of the cap and then run the postive lead to the postive terminal of the batter and ground the other end to the truck. i run a 1 farad cap and it worked out great.
    let me know if you have any questions.
    king

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You could do it more simply by installing a single 1 Farad cap and splitting the output to the two amps (but yes you'd need a distribution block!)

Even the way you described it, you're going to have to run TWO complete runs of heavy gauge wire from the battery to each cap, so I'm not sure there's a real cost savings (or more simplicity).....

Caps are really most useful on subwoofer amps since they draw the most instantaneous current, but there's nothing wrong with wiring up the entire system to benefit from them (mids, tweets, etc)

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i was thinking of using a distribution block to split the inocoming power to the two caps. but, i was looking at this one cap w/ a digital readout and dist block... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif