Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

amp is eating fuses

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BillyBob, Apr 28, 2002.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, for some reason, my optimus bridgeable 400W 4 way amp is eating fuses. It's not the power cable, because the power cable fuse is fine. it has to be something between the amp and the ground. I've checked the ground, and everything seems fine. If I even try to put a fuse in, it sparks, and kills it. what should I look for? could the amp be fried? I never abused it, since I don't listen to my music too loud. HELP! I miss my dual 10s!!/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Your amp is bridgable, but how is everything wired ??? are you running single voice coil subs(SVC) or dual voice coil subs(DVC) ??? I had a pair of 12" DVC with positives together, and negitives together. When I bridged the amp I blew fuces becouse the ohms were too low, so I ran it in normal sterio mode and it took care of the problem.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

First thing to try is to remove any speakers that our wierd to the amp. Just take the wires off the terminals right at the amp. Then (WITH THE CAR OFF) try and replace the fuse in the amp. Then turn the car on and see if you blow the fuse. If you do then the problem is internal in the amp, if the fuse stays good then the problems in the subs. Send me an email on what happens and I will be more then happen to continue on once you get that info.

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

is the amp grounded to the floor???? BINGO! if so you most likely have a draw, aka, power to ground somewhere in the body, frame, probly a wire bouncing or rubbed through. if you need to know how to find out how to tell, e mail me, good luck.

5. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Just wondering, but, I've been thinking about why this amp shorted out, and something came to mind. While my buddy was driving my truck, he slammed on the gas pedal and (don't ask me how this happened) the "power antenna" wire that tells the amp the radio is on, was ripped out. after that, the amp didn't work. Could this have shorted it out? I don't understand why it would, since isn't that the same thing as turing off the radio? just a thought. Anyway, I'm getting my amp repaired cuz I found the warranty