Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amp location

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rcamacho, Mar 1, 2007.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'm installing my first sub/amp combination into my '87. I'll be running (2) MTX 12" subs and an old MTX RTA2100 amp in bridged mode. Q: Where do you guys recommend mounting the amp assuming stock rear panels - behind the panel or on the sub? I'll likely be pulling the sub box in&out depending on where I intend to park.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Depends on Amp dimensions . I put mine under my front passenger seat . I run early 90's style truck/van bases so it fit well . Actually took the seat out to do it , no amp removal without seat removal .

I have seen plenty of pics of them mounted to the back wall and other areas . And i guess thats fine if you can make the wiring clean .

3. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

I have both my amps under my rear seat, but they are very short amps and dont have any cooling problems. Makes taking the box out really easy, I wouldnt do it on your box if you want to be able to take it out quickly and easily.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If you are trying to remove the box often, don't put the amp on it. I say try under the drivers seat, if not, maybe on a side panel. I don't have a K5, but im thinking kinda behind the spare tire, either right behind the back seat on teh drivers side, or behidn the tire in front of the tailgate. is there space here? how big is your amp?