Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amp Mounting Location?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by schwank, Sep 29, 2002.

1. schwank

schwank Registered Member

I have a 91 K5 Scottsdale... as part of Fall maintenance, she's getting a much revised stereo system. I have already installed front Blaupunkt 3.5" speakers and have a template cut to build my rear sub box. Got some great ideas and info out of these forums, and I'm ready to roll.

The sub box with 12" Lanzar is rear drivers side behind and up over the wheel well, like tightwork's here
    (nice job, btw!)

Anyway, the 400W Alpine amp will be mounted on a removable wood base directly atop the arch, as they are pretty close to the same size. Thing is, that's a long power lead run from the battery in the front pass. corner, to the driver's rear wheel arch. 18-20 ft maybe... Even with a larger guage power lead, is this too much really? I am running a set of 6.5" like the tight one above, but my passenger side box is smaller, as I am keeping the spare. The amp is only powering rear speakers, so for wiring simplicity this is clearly the best amp location for me... but at what cost?

Just looking for ideas I may have missed... how are you guys handling amp location? Thanks for your hints...

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How much room do you have under you pass side front seat ??? Might be a good location for your amp. I've also seen an amp mounted in the console befor.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have mine under the drivers seat /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. schwank

schwank Registered Member

I am hesitant to put my amp under the seat... my Scottsdale has no carpet, just a rubber floor. I use it to drive to Mt Hood in the winter and other backcountry activities around the NW. Lots of wet stuff in there frequently, like snowboards, wet gear, and my hound... so frequently this area is rather wet... not the greatest environment for an amp.

Other ideas?

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

do you still have the factory side pannels along the bed? if so put it behind one of them /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Under the seat might work if you build in on maybe 1" plastic standoffs....just keep it off the wetness of the floor. Side panels can work well too, depending on how hot the amp runs....you may need to create ventilation for them so they don't go into 'thermal protection' mode...

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I took my seat out, unbolted it from the floor bracket, sandwiched some wood in between the seat and floor bracket, and mounted my amp to this (upside down). Ran the wiring along the inside of the floor bracket to the carpet, and it worked like a charm. I also have mounted an amp inside the rear panels like has been discussed. It never ran hot and stayed out of the way.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I put mine in the in the stock center console.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Mine are mounted in the side panels. My amp for the subs has two fans in it so made sure that it had plenty of ventilation cause that sucker gets pretty warm in the summer months. Then on im running another amp up in the front of the panel and it has hardly any ventilation and it hasnt gone into themal protection mode, yet. My amp in the front is a US Acoustics with no fans and the rear amp is an Audiobahn A1300HC with two fans. Let me know if you want any pics.