Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amp not working?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by JDBlazer454, May 29, 2003.

1. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

The other night when I was using my winch my husband hooked up the battery cables backward in return blowing my amp's fuse. We replaced the fuse but now my amp doesn't put out any sound. We have checked for power at the amp power wire and the remote wire from the stereo and have power at both. The power led comes on like it should but no sound out of the sub.

Any ideas or suggestions to try would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you might have either blown the mosfit out of it or you blew out the output transisters... then again.. i could be wrong since im not an electonics major..

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

My amp has a led so you know if its on, check that, if thats not on then yeah, id agree with Prembird, somethings wrong with the amp, but then again, why would the amp get blown, isnt that what the fuse is for so that type of thing doesn't happen?? Im not an electronics major eithr, just my 2 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I use to be an electronics expert /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The fuse should only blow when there is too much current. If the amp is designed properly, there should be a diode inside that will prevent damage to the amp when power is hooked up backwards. If you put your nose close enough you may be able to smell a burnt component. If you open up the amp there should be a black cylindrical component with a white stripe around one end. It should be near the where the power comes in. If this isn't chared then look for something else that may be burned, but I'm pretty sure that's what you'll find. By the way, if you find that's it is the diode it's no more than a dollar or 2 to replace depending on what kind it was.

EDIT: Actually, let me technical so I don't get corrected on this /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif . A diode can be used as a fuse for when power is hooked up backwards. It will blow out before any expensive parts get damaged.