Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amp problem, please help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by chev4life, Mar 23, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Well I have tried many forums and went through most my system already and cant figure it out...here is what I've got....
    My amp, only does it randomly, makes my speakers pop nasty when turn on and then shuts down. I already checked all wiring...even did it with a speaker hooked up through 1' of cable and no RCA's hooked up so those are rulled out. My ground is great to my body, but is my body grounded to my frame/bat? Anyone have a prob like this? I am thinking of running a 2awg ground from the frame to the body in the back...think this will help? Anyone know where the bat is grounded to the frame so I can reconnect/clean?

2. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

are you running more than 1 component? like a x-over, processor or anything. Usually that happens when two or more electronic components power up or off at the same time. Try running a relay on the remote power and the deck that way the turn on at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

The amp is the only component. I have a relay on my remote already cause that is what I thought it was last time. This is not a turn on pop it is a major pop and then the amp shuts off.

4. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

hhmmm got me, you could have a bad speaker somewhere. I've seen them cause other weird problems.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like your amp may have a problem inside. Call your local car stereo shops and ask if the do free dionostics. If may be a very cheap repair, or it may be cheaper to replace the amp. They may find nothing wrong at all with the amp, but it sounds to me like a problem in the amp.

6. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I just had the power supply replaced in the amp and this is what it did before, so...
    A. I could be that the SoundStream amp doesnt like be mounted vertical
    B. They gave me a bad power supply when they fixed it
    C. Something with my wiring that is causing it

Last time this happened I went through everything and thought I norrowed it down to my cap...looked like it had a little water contact...so removed got supply fixed...no probs for about a year. Now...nothing changed in the system and it suddenly it happens again...no rain or anything...sunny in Nor Cal right now...had a little morning dew but it was dry in the back. So I am confused and dont know what to do...dont want to turn system on and put more pops through the speakers so I am trying anything I can right now. Regrounding the back to the frame and body. Thinking of running a new bat ground to the frame also. Do you know where the engine ground strap to frame is?...is there one?..only thing I have is this little POS(12awg?) ground right now to it(stock).
    Oh...power and ground for amp is all 2awg.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Soundstream makes some very good amps in my opinion. Try dissconecting the cap and see if it still does it. I don't know a lot about caps, but if it was the problem in the past, it may be it again. If it turns out to be the cap, just go ahead and replace it.

8. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I never put the cap back in after it malfunctioned last time...just never got around to replacing it.