Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AMP Problems

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 79Stomper, May 27, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All right first let me explain what I have set up in the Jimmy. I have a kenwood d-mask cd receiver running 2 4" Kenwood speakers in the pillars. Have 2 10" in a box mounted in the rear of the truck being powered by a Sony amp underneath the seat.

Here is the problem:
    Over the past 2 months I have blown 6 fuses that control the power going to the amp. I have a 80 amp alternator to power my accessories. Why do I keep blowing these freraking fuses to my amp. It was working fine yesterday afternoon, but when I got in it this morning I heard it start up then nothing after that and I had't even turned the truck over yet.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Fuses don't blow because of lack of power (your comment about a larger alternator)..... they blow when there is a short circuit, or REALLY low impedance from the speakers.

My guess is that you have a pinched speaker wire that is shorting out intermittently, and causing those fuses to blow.

If you have a lot of fuses to play with, you could disconnect one speaker wire at a time from the amp and drive around for a while. My bet is that disconnecting one of those wires will allow your system to play again and not blow fuses.

Once you have isolated the "problem wire" you can re-run that wire, or at least search for the shorted/pinched wire and fix it.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My guess is that you have a pinched speaker wire that is shorting out intermittently, and causing those fuses to blow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think it is a short in the power wire. If there was a Kink in the speaker wire then the subs would cut in and out on top of blowing a fuse. I would say check where the power pass the firewall and check your amp power and ground terminals at both ends for loss connections or frayed wire at the amp side that are cross over from ground to positive.