Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amp question, ohm loads and other questions

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jjlaughner, Apr 18, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have a Memphis 150x2 amp pushing two 10" MTX BlackGolds.
    Its ok for DD but I want a little more bump. I'm thinking about buying a 12" sub, running my memphis amp crossed over to the 12" and then buy a new amp for my 10's.

My alpine deck has a dedicated subwoofer output I want to hook the 12" up too, then I'll run the 10's off the rear channel outputs.

SOOOOO, here's the question. Do I need to look for a 300watt 2ohm 12" MTX sub? Or will a 4ohm 12" sub handle a 2ohm load? How does that ohm stuff workout?

[​IMG]

Just a little more info on what I want to do. I'm going to make a curved/angled box and mount the 12 in the center and the 10's on an angle behind the rear seat and mount the amps on the back or if I have room after making a box for a 12" sub put them on top of the new box.

more stereo pics in my ride

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here are two ways to wire them If you want to bride the amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I'm not a speaker expert, but I am pretty sure you will blow a 4 ohm speaker running 2 ohm's of resistance to it. Unless it is a Dual Voice Coil.
    [​IMG]

For 2 ohm speaker
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But I don't know if a 2ohm would overheat your amp running at a 1 ohm load. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

i think you have your question backwards...

your subs will run however you wire them, the real question is will your amp run 2ohm and will your sub handle the power from your amp. after you drop the ohm load on your amp the push more power. I was in to car audio up to my So. year of college (1997) and just this month getting back into it.

If your amp will run at .5 to 2ohm then get the subs that will get you that lowest ohm load your amp can handle.

In my case i have a punch 200 (from the mid 90s) it can run at .5 ohm but 1ohm is the lowest I think i would run it. but the subs i have are SVC 15s that are 4 ohm, wish they where DVCs or 2ohm subs, to get the most power from my amp.

brett