Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amp question.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MudFrog, Apr 11, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I have a really old (1995) Legacy 300w amp, it used to sound perfect for what I need but over the years it seems like there is less and less power. There are times when it seems like my 6x9's are putting out more bass, then all of the sudden it will have a ton of bass, then back to where I can't tell if it's doing anything at all. I have 1 10" Pioneer Sub hooked to it and the amp is bridged. I checked all my connections and they are secure, does anyone have any ideas? Is this something that can be serviced for cheap or should I look at a new amp? Like I said I don't need a whole lot, but I do like to be able to hear the bass.

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like the power supply is going out on the amp.... If it was something i was considering i would just replace the amp with another one.. maybe a little better brand if you can afford it.. If not those amps are not very expensive and can be picked up relativly cheap

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ok this is TOTALLY biased......but I did notice an a/d/s PQ20 on e-Bay right now. Current bid is $9.99

I personally LOVE these amps (I have FOUR of them in my K5!) They are conservatively rated at 80W x 4 or 160W x 2 when bridged. They are not one of the 1/2-ohm stable types that became so popular.....but that whole philosophy never impressed me anyway.

Just a thought. Amps are usually a pretty safe bet to buy used, since there are NO moving parts. I'd never buy a CD player off e-Bay, but I bought 3 of my PQ20's there and had good luck with ALL of them. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had the Legacy 1600 watt 2 channel amp. The problem I had was it sounded like my subs were blown one day, and the next they sounded fine. I would really recomend getting a better name brand. I plan on going all MMATS when I can aford it.

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Thats similar to how these are sounding... and I have another cheap amp to push my 6x9's and the amp will make my 6x9 crackle and I really don't like that cause these were expensive speakers. I'll look at some new amps, I really don't need much I just have the 2 Kenwood 4 way 6x9s and the 1 10" sub for now. However I would like to get some front speakers, so I'm actually interested in an amp that will support 4x for my speakers and then 1 for the sub.

6. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Have i found something for you... Maybe someone around you will have this amp also... The Alpine mrfp302 (if i remember the numbers right) is a perfect amp for what you are wanting to do... the specs are 40x4 AND 120x1... It is a 5 channel amp and i can go and buy the amp right now for 230 bucks... Alpine is a great amp for clarity... And they also make a decent amp to push subs with... But for what your wanting to do this would be perfect for it..