Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

amp shutting down

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mdm365, Aug 15, 2002.

1. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

Hi all my name is mike.I have an amp problem,The amp is getting hot and shutting down.I have a Jensen indash mp3310 reciver rated @180 peak(broke down 45wX4)The amp is jensen A600hlx.The speakers are pioneer impps 10s rated 4 ohms in the back these are also rated @ 400 watts.The front doors have 6x9 pioneers rated @200w and 4 ohms.I also have small tweeters 1 inch I think not sure how they are rated installed on the a pillers these are made by jensen.All I have running off the amp is the 10s and are briged by the amp.The amp is mounted under the drivers seat and has plenty of room.All my wireing is correct checked it over and over.Anyone have any thoughts THANKS mike m /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

ummmm, what gauge wire you runnin for your power and ground off your amp?

3. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I ran 10 gauge for the ground and the positive.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you might wanna get some bigger wire...i was having the same problem on my first system (all sony) and someone told me my power and ground was to small a wire (was using 10 also) went down to 4 gauge (same size as battery cable i believe) for both power and ground, fixed my problem.....hope this helps

5. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I will try that also thanks mike

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My amp is mounted in the stock center consol. Mine shutdowns when it get's to hot. Try mounting the amp in a different location. I have to drive with the consol top off,if I want to listen to the radio for long periods of time. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

Thanks Eric for the reply I will do that when I change the wire size. mike m

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The amp is getting hot and shutting down.I have a Jensen indash mp3310 reciver rated @180 peak(broke down 45wX4)The amp is jensen A600hlx

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok....
    1.Jensen amps are very bad with heat .. I would move the amp off of the floor because what heat that is made with the amp on is ten fold with the heat that is coming from the floor (exhaust underside) with the heat form the amp the heat will be drawn to the amp(heat draws heat) because it is warm also.,So I would move the amp..
    2.Getting the larger wire will be better but the problem is the heat they are an ok amp for the buck ( I have had them) but they hate the heat and the thermo switch is turning the amp off when it gets to hot.. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. PineyPower

PineyPower Registered Member

wow i just bought the same amp and boy does it suck i`m runing 10 gauge wire too.I`m pushing two 12`s 4ohms 500 watts a piece and my amp won`t even come on any more.Ihad it in my truck now a week and i hate it i`m probly going to return it.But if u do find out what ur problem is then give me a shout so i can try it on mine thanks... <font color="red"> </font color>

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You can get a computer fan, cut a hole in the side panel, mount the fan. I would mount one on each side, one blowing in, the other blowing out. Now thats some work, specialy finding a 12 volt power source on the board /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

More then likely you have the ohm load of the amp to low. Are the 4 ohm subs bridged? That would give you a 2ohm load and that amp is not stable that low. They have to be wired in series or stereo. That is the first thing to check. Do not go to 4 guage it is a waste on that amp. 8 guage is max I would recomend. Also make sure your ground is 12" or less and attached to a shiny metal surface not painted metal.