Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Amp, Temp, Fuel Gauge Failure

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cricket, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Looking for a nudge in the right direction. I've had a gauge problem for two months and it finally crapped all together.

When I'd turn on the ignition the Amp, Temp, & Fuel gauges would be unresponsive. I could then flick the dual tank selector switch a few times and they would all come to life.

As of tonight that no longer works. Everything in the dash functions properly except the Amp/Temp/Fuel gauges. They light up - just no response.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Bad ground maybe?

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I may be wrong bout this, but I don't think so. Those gauges have a full power (12 volt) feed to them. What makes the gauge move is a variable resistance ground from each sending unit. Well, at least the fuel and temp gauge. I think you lost the hot feed to those gauges. If you have a wiring diagram for your truck, pop the cluster out so you can get to the backside, and start tracing the hot feed with a multi-meter. I bet you have a loose or broken hot wire. Does your tank switch still work? Maybe the power feeds from the tank switch to the gauges. Check the connections on the tank switch also. Just grab the meter and a 6 pack and start tracing wires/circuit boards.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

OK got it working but am confused, nothing new. First thing I checked yesterday was the fuse - visual inspection - looked perfect. After troubleshooting today there was nothing else seemingly wrong. Sooooo, change perfect looking glass fuse and gauges spring to life. :doah:

If a fuse for the gauge cluster is bad shouldn't the dash lights also be without power or am I reading my schematic wrong? :doah:

We need an avatar for hopelessly stupid.

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

no, there is a guages fuse and a instrument lamps/dash lights fuse